• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dad's motorgrader Update 1/18/12

Re: Dad's motorgrader

You found a better image of the one I posted! You must be ready then.

Regards,

You found a better image of the one I posted! You must be ready then.

Regards,

Actually, that model is a bit too old. I was able to find quite a few of the model used in WW II. Here are a couple of photos.

CATERPILLAR_112_GRADER_2.jpg

FH000017.jpg

If you google Road Graders or WW II Road Graders, very little usable photos will come up. I was able to find a few military ones, mostly in the PTO and not too clear, but these two different Cats appear to be the same model and I found more than a dozen of both that can be blown up for detail close ups with a minimum of pixelation.

Bob

Yes, this model is better but the wheels then become a larger issue. :) LARGEr, get it?

You can start with a resin Cat dozer for the engine. Look at die cast toys, many construction vehicles are available. The scale may be 1:32 or 1:34.

Regards,

I saw something some where- there is a company that makes these earthmoving vehicles in kit form, i don't mean die cast toys. I think they were in 1/48? Help?

Scratching one of these is a bit much for me. :popcorn

Not to change the subject Saul, but do you know of anyone that produces KITS of construction equipment? I can find the die cast toys online but I have always wanted a kit of a back hoe-or a Lull (high lifting fork lift) don't ask why!

Chip, that is a new subject and yes, there are kits. Post a new topic and I will show you.

The reason I mentioned the die cast kits is to ease Bob Sr.'s search for suitable wheels.

Regards,

Saul,

One of VLS' production companies, 135th Construction Bn. did all the research on a motor grader just before I sold it to Squadron. Fred Belke, a close friend of Dave Harper, who has worked for both Cat and the Rock Island arsenal did all the research on it and Dave had that the last time I saw it. It used the almost identical engine as in their dozer. 135th made a dozer kit and I still have a couple of them. Anyway, I am checking with Bill Chilstrum, Dave's buddy to see if he has that research material.

I will be able to use the engine and even the radiator grill which are identical to the motor grader. BTW, if you google motor grader, you get more results than road grader although most are modern.

I recently built one of the VLS kits posted in my thread.

Cat01.jpg

I already checked and have tires that will match up except the wheels will have to be scratched, no big deal. They look relatively easy.

Oh, and by the way Kryptosdaddy, I believe Mig Productions made a 1/35th Back Hoe several years back.

Bob

WW II Road Graders.

Well, crap!!!

I can't use the VLS bulldozer engine for the grader.

I just heard back from David Doyle, the author, who is known around the world for his books on soft skins. He authored a dozen or so for me through Letterman Publications.

He told me that The Cat motor Grader is powered by a 468-cubic inch Cat diesel 6-cylinder engine #12.

The VLS Dozer is a D-9. The smallest Cat dozer with a 6-cylinder Diesel engine was the D6, and it had a 650 cubic inch engine, hence clearly not the same. The D-9 was even larger. It makes sense, a dozer would have a much more powerful engine than a grader. :( :( :(

The good news is that he not only has photographs aplenty, he has the manuals! :yipee :yipee

BTW, he said that to his knowledge, the only companies to supply heavy dozers and motor graders in WW II were Caterpillar, Galion and International Harvester.

Soooo, I'll just have to scratch the whole damned thing!

Bob

Well, crap!!!

I can't use the VLS bulldozer engine for the grader.

I just heard back from David Doyle, the author, who is known around the world for his books on soft skins. He authored a dozen or so for me through Letterman Publications.

He told me that The Cat motor Grader is powered by a 468-cubic inch Cat diesel 6-cylinder engine #12.

The VLS Dozer is a D-9. The smallest Cat dozer with a 6-cylinder Diesel engine was the D6, and it had a 650 cubic inch engine, hence clearly not the same. The D-9 was even larger. It makes sense, a dozer would have a much more powerful engine than a grader. :( :( :(

The good news is that he not only has photographs aplenty, he has the manuals! :yipee :yipee

BTW, he said that to his knowledge, the only companies to supply heavy dozers and motor graders in WW II were Caterpillar, Galion and International Harvester.

Soooo, I'll just have to scratch the whole damned thing!

Bob

I moved this post from the Help Me thread. Here are samples of the photos of Caterpillar Motor Grader #12, taken at Fort Belvoir, Va. I was actually stationed there in 1959 in the Combat Engineers. This is the machine I am going to attempt to build.

A-Backview.jpg

4view.jpg

AFrntangle.jpg

ASideviewB.jpg

Bob

That one doesn't look much different than the one my Father had. The front end was different, looked heavier, maybe changed and strengthened from experience.
PA290051.JPG

You know, looking closer, the piece on the front of mine seems to be a cover for the steering gear and linkage. Again, something that was likely added from experience. I doubt Dad installed that, if anything he would have taken it off at some point.

Looks like my motor grader album could come in handy if you need it. :mpup

Of course MP,

Actually, I have copied every photo posted on this site involving road graders and put them in my own album. I have really blown up all of them as far as pixelation allows and the difference in the one your dad had and the military Caterpillar Motor Grader number 12, is that difference on the front. It looks like two plates intended to guard cables or something!

The only difference other than that are the rear wheels, they have a more bulbous center. Those photos of yours have this or that not seen in some of the ones I have.

As I said, I'll take everything I can get!

Thanks MP,

Dad II :)

Those were weights added to the center of the wheels. Trying to find the original picture to crop in for better.

The part up front was a cover over the shafts and gear works for the steering system.

I tell ya, the closer i look the more it looks the same. Only difference is what looks like the air intake on the rear of the engine.

I cropped in at the original resolution, does not get any better from here unless there's another "original" somewhere.
catfrontcover.jpg

Looks like the steering or the tilt of the wheels were hydraulic controlled.

Drivedetail.jpg

I don't know if the additional weights were added to the wheels or were they totally different wheels that came weighted.

catrear.jpg

WW II Road Graders.

Hey Bob , ..... at least they came ashore after d+ whatever .
The vehicle in front of the jeep with trailer is [ according to my shotty research ] I believe a Cat model 212 .

Utah-Omaha-070.jpg

Here 212's with cab .

Vehicle-Caterpillar-Model-212-Road-Grader.jpg

2919175928_a70e494346_z.jpg

WW II Road Graders.

Thanks so much Glenn,

Is this a great site or what?

Those shots are extraordinarily clear and show parts that the other pics I have that were difficult to make out, especially where they joined with other parts. These will be a big help. the biggest help was that they led me to more information and more photos.

Apparently, there was a model #12, a #112, and a #212. It is really difficult for me to tell the differences. From what I have read and gathered from David Doyle, all three could be found in WW II. The #12, #112 and #212 all made their first appearance in 1939, and were apparently discontinued in 1947. They were just different model numbers and, all were used by the military. To be honest, I can't see the difference in any of the three. The parts all seem to be identical, maybe it had to do with the size of the motors.

The three shots you posted are the only ones I can find close up enough with military markings, so that alone is a big help!

These photos also gave me an idea. I did some more searching on the web and found these of a #212. Probably nobody else but me is interested in these, but just in case. This has been the most difficult scratch project to research I have ever encountered. Who would have thought? It has been like a crossword puzzle, each time I find something, it leads to something else. I also ordered the manuals for it this morning.

KGrHqFiEE68yiBoUSBO18J9Gw60_12.jpg

KGrHqFokE63r0IUgBO18JZOU60_12-1.jpg

KGrHqRioE6-48E6sBO18Jg0Sg60_12-1.jpg

KGrHqRl4E64KIciPBO18J4wJDQ60_12.jpg

KGrHqRlYE65OIvfE7BO18JqIQYw60_12.jpg

KGrHqVjcE658WHWniBO18Jz150w60_12-1.jpg

KGrHqVjkE66ttVPkBO18JvT8z60_12-1.jpg

KGrHqZh4E68TUeLIIBO18JS6Swg60_12-1.jpg

KGrHqZloE64ssRPtBO18Jcy9f60_12.jpg

KGrHqZmE6gsMgIzBO18JlJjkg60_12.jpg

Thanks again, Bob

WW II Road Graders.

Well Bob if you have to scratch everything this means more Eye Candy for the rest of us. Looking forward to this. And great pics in this thread. Very cool stuff.
James

Back