• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA Entry Nerdling SdKfz. 222

nerdling

While I am waiting for paint to dry on the Ki-27 I decided I would start on this thing also. It is a Lindberg 1/35 SdKfz. 222. I honestly have no idea how old this mold is but I can only assume it is probably from the 60s. But I won't complain since I picked it up for 5 bucks. My main goal here is to try out a winter scheme with the hairspray technique. I also have several Tamiya weathering sets and pens on the way and plan to try them out also.

IMG_4133.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

IMG_4135.jpg

I honestly have no idea how old this mold is...
It is VERY old. I'm not sure if it is their own but it looks like the Nitto Sd.Kfz. 250 kit I gave my son.

But I won't complain since I picked it up for 5 bucks. My main goal here is to try out a winter scheme with the hairspray technique.

That is a great price (MSRP is $13.50USD). For your purposes it is a great kit to work on. If in a winter scheme, you also get to hide some of the clunky details (such as a tarp over the open turret and a muzzle cover). If you aren't picky about open slots and the such, I may have a replacement barrel for you. This way, you can have it in action and figures in the turret will block the interior from being seen. Send me a PM to ship it out.

Regards,

Thanks for the offer Saul. But don't worry about it. Wouldn't want to waste a nice barrel on this old thing lol. I have done some work on this over the past few days though. Still have some touchup work to do and need to ream out the barrel some more and then it is on to the hairspray.

IMG_4149.jpg

IMG_4150.jpg

IMG_4151.jpg

Wow, what took so long??!! Another day and I would have missed the whole thing! Rock on! (y) :drinks

Well this is after my attempt to whitewash it and remove some of the white. Not sure whether I should go even further and remove more or not. Still need to do some general weathering and touchup. next will be my first attempt at making a tarp out of tissue.

IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4154.jpg

IMG_4155.jpg

IMG_4156.jpg

Hmm...guess it depends if you want to remove more whitewash? Could be that it's a fairly fresh whitewash or late in the season, if it's later and into spring you probably want to remove some more.

But i've never done one so what do I know? :mpup

Well time for a quick update. I started building a tarp out of tissue and some thinned down white glue. This is the result after painting. Still waiting on my weathering stuff from Japan though.

IMG_4157.jpg

IMG_4161.jpg

Sorry, I was distracted and missed your update. I like what you've done, the edges are the most worn areas. Guessing you'll add filters and such to dirty it up? The tarp looks good. (y) :drinks

Thanks Mike. I am just waiting for all of my Tamiya weathering stuff from Hobbylink first. Then I figured I would add some mud and fender bergs and that kind of thing. For such an old kit this sure has been fun though.

AK Interactive has a Winter Techniques video that is excellent, although I have not yet had the courage to attempt it. (y)

Well my Tamiya stuff came in over the weekend. I had a chance to play around with it the past few days and am now calling this one done. I went ahead and used some Flory wash to try and dirty it up and then used some Tamiya weathering sets for snow. Tell me what you think.

IMG_4188.jpg

IMG_4194.jpg

Kind of proud of my first attempt at this lol

IMG_4189.jpg

IMG_4190.jpg

IMG_4192.jpg

Well my Tamiya stuff came in over the weekend. I had a chance to play around with it the past few days and am now calling this one done. I went ahead and used some Flory wash to try and dirty it up and then used some Tamiya weathering sets for snow. Tell me what you think.

IMG_4188.jpg

IMG_4194.jpg

Kind of proud of my first attempt at this lol

IMG_4189.jpg

IMG_4190.jpg

IMG_4192.jpg

Woo Hoo, another completed CTA entry. Fine job Ryan, have you ever done the whitewash before?

This was my first attempt at this Bob. Figured it was a good kit to try it on. Heck it looks better than the kit on the box lol.

Back