• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA Entry - jgrease - Hobby Boss 1/48 A-7 - DONE!

jgrease

photo.jpg

Probably won't start for a couple of days. Finishing an Airfix 1/72 Canberra PR.9 (nice kit - horrible decals). Anyhoo, I'm building the A-7A kit as a -B, and aside from an Aires bang seat and Squadron decals, this is OOB so I can finish sometime in this decade.

I meant to discuss my connection to to fight against cancer. I am a three-time survivor of Hodgkins Lymphoma, my most recent battle was a stem-cell transplant in 1998. Matter of fact, my oncologist just gave me my walking papers after 14 years. Cancer sucks, and everyone needs to join the fight!

Re: CTA Entry - jgrease - Hobby Boss 1/48 A-7

Sorry for the delay. I haven't had a lot of time this past weekend, but today I primed some of the subassemblies for painting tomorrow - cockpit, intake, exhaust, gear bays, and fuselage. No pictures, but believe me, it's all nice and gray. Pictures probably Wednesday.

Can't wait to see!

Terry B)

Alright, some progress to report. I've painted and assembled the cockpit, keeping it relatively simple. I seem to always have Aircraft Grey come out glossy no matter which one I use or how I spray it (this one is Testors Acryl). In any event, painted, dry brushed and done:
IMG_1909.jpg

I also completed the wheel wells, painted flat white, coated with Future, and a wash added:
IMG_1911.jpg

I like the main gear bay, but those grilles need more black. Next came putting the fuselage together, and I needed some filler on top right behind the cockpit. I had set the halves together evenly, but I guess they shifted over time. Another reason why I am not a superstar modeler:
IMG_1912.jpg

And finally, I assembled the wings. I've dryfitted them into the fuse and they fit great! I look forward to attaching them:
IMG_1913.jpg

And it wouldn't be one of my builds unless I did something like this - I forgot to cut out the space where the refuelling probe goes, so I had to measure and cut on the outside - here's the result:
IMG_1914.jpg

Until next time...

Thank you all for the encouragement. Rest assured, I have been prepping the next set of stuff to prime and paint. I've got the pylons, rudder, and weapons set aside for priming tomorrow. The loadout is probably not authentic, but it is a miss-mash of later A-7 mission loads - iron bombs on MERs on 1 and 8, Mk20 CBUs on 2 and 7, IRIS pod on 3, and a Shrike on 6 (and AIMs on 4 and 5 of course). So I hope to have photos by Tuesday of a re-primed fuselage and all that other stuff. I really am not looking forward to building 12 bombs...

Dang I wish I kept my training stuff from USAF. I had training material that had all the load out for the current aircraft as of 1982 and yes, the A7 was in it because Air National Guard guys trained at the same place. Lowry AFB Co.

I know for sure that the IRIS pod was only used on A-7Es, but I really thought it looked cool. The loadout was used for SAM suppression, and it looks kind of badass...

Back