• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA Entry: Ben, DC-4 United Mainliner

Ben

I was thinking not to enter this until my Spitfire was completed. But, I like this DC-4 kit and felt like starting it today. So, since I donated twice to this great cause anyway, here it goes. Not sure if there's anything wrong with having 2 kits on the go in the same campaign.

The Kit:

DC6005.jpg

The Dated Proof:

DC6007.jpg

What I Did Today: Painted the fuselage interior walls night black. In 1/144 scale there's no detail, so if you plan on a clear windscreen, its a good idea to blackout the interior. The instruction called for 3/4oz nose weight; I just put in 2 x 1/4oz lead weights, which adds up to 3/4oz in hillbilly country. It makes the fuse feel heavy. Then I joined the interior halves.

DC6001.jpg

In this photo, the fuse halves are joined. The rest is just trial fitted to see where the problems will be. I like this kit, and give Minicraft a big thumbs-up. (y)

DC6004.jpg

You can have as many as you wish, the completed builds are what counts.

Looking forward to this. I got an old prop transport in the stash, just waiting to get inspired. :popcorn

the completed builds are what counts. :popcorn

:rotf bbbzzzzzzzittt. You are wrong. It's the donation that counts. Make it, even if you are dirt bag poor like me.

James, I think I'm going to do it OOB, just cause I have some fancy new Aeroclad laqueur to try out.

Well, this is going really, really slooowww.

I did manage to get the engine faces underway. In this small 1/144 scale, they need only get a wash and they'll be done.

DC-4005.jpg

DC-4004.jpg

I've attached and masked the cabin roof and masked the parts to be left clear. When masking clear parts, I always wind-up with scratches that will need fixed.

DC-4002.jpg

I'm going to start glueing things together, and then its fill-n-sand time. Oh, Yippee!

DC-4007.jpg

Hi Ben, Now this is something a little different (y) Progress looks good, how is the plastic in this kit? I've heard that Minicraft is sometimes brittle.

Randy

how is the plastic in this kit? I've heard that Minicraft is sometimes brittle.

Hi Randy. Yeah, I have a Minicraft B-377 that seems fairly brittle. This kit is the opposite, rather soft. I accidently pushed my sharp tweezer through an engine face trying to position, and formed a small hole rather than a break.

Mincraft kits can certainly have issues. I like them anyway. They have a wonderful 1/144 selection. :drinks

Slow is good - less mistakes and builder error!

keep her going!

and um - don't mention sanding!!!! :D

Little by little, she's coming together. The engine faces are in and the cowlings mounted.

campaigns019.jpg

campaigns020.jpg

I chose to replace the cheap plastic prop shafts with .9mm brass tube (thanks Albion). For 1/144, the props are really very nice.

campaigns015.jpg

I do have to get a better system set up for taking photos. Right now, I'm a slave to the natural light, which in turn is enslaved by the weather.

Slow is good - less mistakes and builder error!

keep her going!

and um - don't mention sanding!!!! :D

There is a very old ocean kayaking adage that is very appropriate for model building. That adage is, "Make haste SLOWLY".

This model is looking good.

Cheers

Today I bought a 48" long 2 tubes (parallel) florescent light fixture and bought two daylight type tubes for it. I'm hoping that this will give me a lot more light in my 16' x 16' room and that the light will be close to daylight.

The fixture was $27.99 Canadian and the tubes were $8.99 Canadian a pair at The Great HOme Store.

Cheers

The elbow grease deptartment seems to be lacking, or slacking. I thought I had given this bird a real good sanding and polishing with decreasing paper grains and the softest polishing pads. All it takes is a little primer to prove otherwise.

She's going to be Alclad NMF, so it is going to take a good deal more work to prepare. I've used Gloss Black Krylon as the base for the Alclad. This after seeing a master modeller doing it to his efforts with outstanding results.

HasaF-104004_zpsbfa30a59.jpg

HasaF-104005_zpsa6e68fcc.jpg

Its back to work for me. Filling, sanding, and polishing.

The elbow grease deptartment seems to be lacking, or slacking. I thought I had given this bird a real good sanding and polishing with decreasing paper grains and the softest polishing pads. All it takes is a little primer to prove otherwise.

She's going to be Alclad NMF, so it is going to take a good deal more work to prepare. I've used Gloss Black Krylon as the base for the Alclad. This after seeing a master modeller doing it to his efforts with outstanding results.

HasaF-104004_zpsbfa30a59.jpg

HasaF-104005_zpsa6e68fcc.jpg

Its back to work for me. Filling, sanding, and polishing.

OK Ben, had a month, got 4 days now. You gonna make it? :pilot

Back