• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Campaign for 2017- Midway

I'm in with Trumperters 1/32 Avenger 1C. Will be in the markings of 8-T-1 the sole survivor of VT-8's 6 aircraft during the battle.

Does anybody know if this Enterprise Wildcat from 1942 is apropiate for this build
h31e6762.jpg

Don't think so Dave, not sure of dates but I think they changed to the overall light blue grey prior to June 42.

Yup...all the red and white stripes and red centers would've been painted over by then...although I am pretty sure the fuselage codes would be fine...if not possibly a bit bigger.

What scale is the Airfix kit? I have tons of Wildcat decals in both 1/48 and 1/32...

On May 20th, 1942, the Navy ordered the removal of the red disc from the national insignia and the red and white stripes from the rudder ro prevent confusion with the red Japanese insignia.

Pretty sure Mike is right about the unit numbers.

Like Bob on D-DAY yesterday, I got too wrapped up in way too many truly unimportant things like yardwork and gardening to take the few minutes to mark the 75th anniversary on June 3rd and 4th...so I want to officially mark my respect for all the brave men who laid down their lives on both sides for what they believed in...and especially to those who kick-started the downfall of tyranny in the Pacific...

June 2 Nagumo breaks radio silence

June 3, 1942 All times are local
0700 2nd Carrier Striking Force attacks Dutch Harbor
0904 Midway receives message of "Sighting Main Body."

June 4, 1942 All times are local
0430 Nagumo begins launching of Midway attack force
0556 Air Raid alarm on Midway
0641 Attack on Midway completed
0714 US level bomber attack on Japanese carriers, no hits.
0838 Yorktown launches attach
1014 Akagi under attack, no hits.
1022 - 1024 Kaga dive bombed, fires break out.
1025 Soryu hit twice
1026 Akagi hit twice
1046 Nagumo and his staff abandon Akagi and transfer command to Nagara.
1050 Nagumo radios Yamamoto that fires are raging on Kaga, Soryu, and Akagi.
1058 Takeoff from Hiryu
1200-1201 Hiryu planes attacks Yorktown, fires break out on
1320 Hiryu planes launch 2nd attack on Yorktown
1455 Abandon ship ordered on Yorktown
1640 Abandon ship ordered on Kaga
1645 Hiryu sighted
1705 Hiryu on fire from several hits
1915 Soryu sinks
1925 Kaga sinks

June 5, 1942 All times are local
0255 Yamamoto cancels Midway operation
0500 Akagi scuttled
0900 Hiryu sinks
1205 Main Body and Occupational force retreat homeward
June 5 I-168 torpedoes Yorktown
June 6 Yorktown sinks

Was going to take a pass on this till I realized I had a Val with Midway markings, won't be able to start till late October or early November depending on when the weather turns nasty.

Was working on and updating the Buffalo in it's thread but I'm away from home until Aug 9th ;)

Was going to take a pass on this till I realized I had a Val with Midway markings, won't be able to start till late October or early November depending on when the weather turns nasty.

I'll probably be about the same timeframe. Too nice outside to be cooped up at the bench.

But then again...work isn't helping much right now either. :frantic

sbd3.jpg

Hmm...wonder if that's chrome yellow showing under that blue wing? Y'all think they stripped them before painting them blue or not?

I would think so otherwise weight would become an issue. Looks like primer, chromate yellow.

That is an interesting paint job isn't it? Faded but fresh where they over painted the old unit number scheme.

Just how many SBDs can we have in one campaign? :pilot

Back