• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Build log 1:32 Tamiya F-15C with lots of goodies

New build 1:32 Tamiya F-15C with lots of goodies

About the Eduard control levers and stuff, yeah they are sick. 9 out of 10 times the part stick to my tweezers instead of the hole we're trying to hit. Then there's the ones where they have 4 or 5 levers on a tree and you're suppose to thread them all through the proper slot. :bang head

Doing a great job, washes are coming out great, lots of depth. :popcorn

Looking fine.

Ian.

Excellent Work paint & detail ..... :popcorn

Looking great (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) :D
James

Nice Job! :popcorn

Luiz.

Thanks gents! I honestly didn't think I would push building this far out into the beautiful spring weather; but once the girls are in bed the only thing I have left to do is watch my wifes crappy TV shows. Building seems like a far better use of time.

About the Eduard control levers and stuff, yeah they are sick. 9 out of 10 times the part stick to my tweezers instead of the hole we're trying to hit. Then there's the ones where they have 4 or 5 levers on a tree and you're suppose to thread them all through the proper slot. :bang head

Doing a great job, washes are coming out great, lots of depth. :popcorn

Thanks, I was really lucky wherein I used white glue to secure the parts and got pretty lucky, I only had to clean off one part for reuse. The problem I found was every tool I had was too big to reliably hold the pieces. The only thing that worked was my RB wax pencil, but it lacked the hold to positively insert them into the locating holes.

Tonight intake/exhaust and possibly gluing the airframe together!

Well, back at it for another season so it seems. After my last update, I went downstairs to fuse the fuse, and what an effin' mess it was.

To say the gaps were large is an understatement. See the attached link for an aerial view of the gaps.

swG644y.jpg

But seriously, this is what the Starboard wing root looked like:

QTShLxI.jpg

IpS9tYn.jpg

I shimmed up the wings with plastic, trimmed them down, and proceeded to sand and putty. I think I'm making progress, but for a Tamiya kit of this size, I am less than impressed.
wxr7kS0.jpg

I hope once the fuselage is in finish primer that the construction will progress without too much delay again.

That's a h*ll of a surprise, given Tamiya's usual engineering quality :hmmm

Ian.

That's a h*ll of a surprise, given Tamiya's usual engineering quality :hmmm

Ian.

I know. I'll post pictures later showing me using 6" C-clamps to ensure the fuselage top stayed settled when I glued it up. Disconcerted to say the least, and a real motivation sap.

Little bit of work ahead.
:popcorn
James

Indeed, hopefully most of it is behind me now, but we'll see in a bit when I lay some more primer down.

Edit.

When I glued the two fuselage halves together, I decided to put the wings on without too much haste. Well, here's what I came out with.

25LRTb6.jpg

With the C-clamps in place.

BVW5nu4.jpg

KUwsdlS.jpg

I had each wing laid up for a week while I waited for the glue to fully cure so I wouldn't have to worry about one popping up unexpectedly.

With the wings all taped up and ready for filler.

WozlLOz.jpg

This shows the trimmed plastic I used as filler for the widest gaps.

This is a really involved undertaking. I think you are whipping into shape real well.

Looking fantastic!

The interior details are first rate and especially that instrument panel is as good as they get!

(y) (y) (y)

Bob

This is a really involved undertaking. I think you are whipping into shape real well.

Thank you. To be honest, that fuselage gap is part of the reason I hung up my X-acto knife for the summer. It was daunting to look at after spending hundreds of dollars between the base kit and detail sets.

Looking fantastic!

The interior details are first rate and especially that instrument panel is as good as they get!

(y) (y) (y)

Bob

Thank you very kindly, that's very flattering coming from an experienced hand such as yourself.

This has inspired me to have a go at an F-15 so I ordered on e up. the F-15E from Revell. I have high hopes in finishing it

Now that's construction! :popcorn

I had to put some home renovations on hold so I could borrow the tools. :bang head When I saw that, I wasn't actually too far away from pulling out the BFH and finishing the model once and for all.

That is huge.

You have no idea how often I hear that :tomato (Never...nobody ever says that to me)

This has inspired me to have a go at an F-15 so I ordered on e up. the F-15E from Revell. I have high hopes in finishing it

I built the D/E in early 1996, and the kit just fell together. From everything I've heard it is Revell's best jet ever. Make sure you start a thread when you get it and share your progress!

Thanks for all the kind words again gents, it really helps motivates a fella.

It appears that Tamiya have used the fuselage of the F15D for their F-15C, and there are minor differences in the structure between the two aircrafts; so I will be filling several panel lines, and removing reinforcing spars from the horizontal stabs.

The light at the end of the tunnel is I should shortly be into installing the WolfPack Photoetch for the MSIP II update. I can't wait to post a picture with all sorts of shiny brass on the surface of the plane. :geek

Nothing is ever as easy as one hoped during the outset of this endeavor.

One of the few aitrcaraft so powerful, it can accelerate straight up.

neat plane, i too will be watching

One of the few aitrcaraft so powerful, it can accelerate straight up.

Vertical acceleration Brit' style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTr2UvLqfkQ

Ian.

So, in my never ending quest to never finish a kit during my natural life, I have been researching the inconsistencies of the Tamiya F-15C and this is where I found the most comprehensive list:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=41732

I feel I will have the majority of the bodywork done in (fairly) short order and have my final primer coat sprayed. From there, it's onto pre-shading; then the home stretch!

In order to help future builders of this kit, I a cross posting the list I used for posterity and increased exposure:

1) Forward Door on engine hump is not on a C model, C model only has one door for the Engine forward mount.
2) JFS Chimney vents aft of the speed-brake, E model has 6 (3 per side) split on the center-line by additional avionics carried by the E model (panel in the centerline is were this avionics goes). C models only have one vent, which is offset of the centerline, and the panel is not present.
3) Fuel dump not present on panel 113l/r and oil cooler vent not present on panel 95 l/r.
4) Saber Drains on panel 117l/r removed off all F-15’s due to their redundancy (would of saved me a nasty scar on my back if they had done this earlier)
5) Airframe patches on side of the intakes is not present on all aircraft, probably just the 78model they used at Kadena.
6) AMAD bay cooling scoops (access panel aft of main gear well) was repositioned to inboard side of panel when the chafe/flare modifications were installed on the aircraft (MISIP) to prevent the chafe from clogging the vent a causing an overheat condition.
7) Left engine bay access door should only have two latches on the trailing edge, kit has four, two extra’s on the leading edge of the door.
8) Ribbing? On the forward LAU-106 fuselage stations access doors should not be there.
9) Panel lines around the pitot probes should not be there ( this is from dirt on the pitot covers).
10) Under the left canopy hinge point is Panel 12, this should not have a beef-up patch, probably on the aircraft Tamiya used.
11) Beef-up on the rudder center hinge point should not be there or as pronounced as they have onthe kit.
12) LVS bullet should be longer and larger in diameter then is in the kit.
13) Wing-root anti-collision lights should be larger and a bit more outboard, the ones in the kit are from the E model kit and reflect the E model.
14) C model Horizontal stabs do not have the reinforcement strips as on the E model’s ,plus the hinge point just does not look correct, seems a little beefed-up the areas well.
15) Struts provided are E model struts, most noticeable would be the oleo on the E which is square and the C which is round. Thus the wheels are E model though not as noticeable with the nose tire and wheel.
16) Main gear drag brace hinge springs are the larger type found on the E model although the strut diameter is larger than a C model strut not as noticeable on the model. The main wheels and tire are the E models as well.
17) Engine compressor face is from an E model with a –229 installed.
18) There should be no Circuit Breaker panels on the wall of the fuselage section in Bay 5 (leftover from using the E model forward fuselage barrel), Both wall need to be scrapped and sanded smooth and ribbing added in its place..
19) Screw post hole on the floor in bay 5 should be eliminated and smoothed over with a new wiring conduit in its place.
20) The Augment or nozzles (Divergent seals should be 21” ) as pointed out by Bruce Radebaugh,
21) The Tail-stinger antennae (“nipples”) are of the wrong shape, but different antennas were installed on different aircraft at one time or another so check references on this one.
22) They even got the chock ropes incorrect, they should be laced, one rope per chalk and laced into the other in a slot cut into one end. The way they show you is for EOR(End of Runway or Quick check)
23) There are some more dealing with panel set up but would take allot more time for that.

Back