• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Build #2 - F9F-5KD Panther 'On Deck'

(New) Build #2 - F9F-5KD Panther

Main paint done:

hdec3fa7.JPG

he4a14e5.JPG

h4cc066d.JPG

hfcf01f3.JPG

Tamiya acrylic glossy yellow with a little orange added, Tamiya flat red, Xtracolour enamel 'Engine Grey'. Next, mask the leading edges and a couple of coats of 'aluminium'.

Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment.

Ian.

Decals on, gear doors & speed brakes on, stabilisers glued in - downwind leg now:

h24ec19b.JPG

hb61a6ff.JPG

h5706156.JPG

Ian.

Gotta luv dem yeller wangs. A cool looking build. Ian

A month from start to finish pretty d*mn fast for me !! - Thanks for following along folks always appreciated and never taken for granted. Just the one photo here and the rest in the 'Completions' thread.

h13fd2fd.JPG

All comments, criticism and questions are welcome.

Ian.

Clean, sharp, and well executed.

What was the story w/ the yellow wings? Was this particular airframe used for flight training?

What was the story w/ the yellow wings? Was this particular airframe used for flight training?

Not training, this was the scheme used from 1958 to the mid 1970's for aircraft acting as 'Drone Directors' - control platforms for target and test drones. The VU-1 Panthers were used extensively in the Mace missile tests according to Squadron Signal 'in Action' book. You would see everything from SNJ's to Crusaders to P-2 Neptunes in this scheme.

Ian.

Ah, nice.

I thought is was odd scheme for a trainer, as they typically have day-glo orange wing and tail tips. Makes perfect sense to me. :drinks

Back