• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

BOMBER COMMAND"AIR GROUP ACTIVATED"

Re:BOMBER COMMAND

tomwes wrote:
WOW! This GB exploded big time......kinda like some knuckle dragging, mud pushing armor getting a 500lb. bomb dropped on it's head :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Tom

Packing my bag, getting ready to go.......

Yeah this is has got a life of it's own now.

Terry B)

Bring the beer some of us have been here for a while

grmblgrmblgrmblijusthaveestablishedthenewcategorygrmbgrmblgrmblstartdatewillbeannouncedgrmblgrmblgrmblhavefungrmblgrmblgrmbl ...

Kreighshoer wrote:
grmblgrmblgrmblijusthaveestablishedthenewcategorygrmbgrmblgrmblstartdatewillbeannouncedgrmblgrmblgrmblhavefungrmblgrmblgrmbl ...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Message a little garbled, but recieved!!

Terry :laugh:

Hi People,

If I can get myself an Accurate Miniatures Avenger torpedoe bomber, you can count me in.
emoticon_nod.gif
That is, if I can participate and if the Avenger is an accepted entry.
emoticon_noidea.gif

Yeah, I know, I'm a total newb and propably will get myself into trouble, but heck, life is mostly crisis management, eh! ;)

Cheers! :)
Fernao

Sure you can participate!! You can't get in any more trouble than I'm in already and yes the Avenger is an acceptable model(it's a torpedo bomber). Welcome aboard!!

Terry

Thanks, Terry!

Now off to find myself a TBF/TBM Avenger from Accurate Miniatures - would the Hobby Boss one be a good model...?
emoticon_noidea.gif
The one from Trumpeter is costin' more than US$ 120.00! That's a bit too steep for me... :(

I wonder if the Accurate Miniatures Avenger kit # 480120 (the one available at the hobby shop I buy from), brings other markings than the ones on George H. Bush's plane...
39.gif

And don't forget guys: I'll really need your help! ;)

Cheers and glad I can be part of this GB! :)
Fernao

Navy markings are generally pretty easy to create if you want to make a generic TBF, I've done a U.S. insignia with Gator mask before, came out really nice if I say so myself...But things like stencils would be pretty universal.

BigDog wrote:
Thanks, Terry!

Now off to find myself a TBF/TBM Avenger from Accurate Miniatures - would the Hobby Boss one be a good model...?
emoticon_noidea.gif
The one from Trumpeter is costin' more than US$ 120.00! That's a bit too steep for me... :(

I wonder if the Accurate Miniatures Avenger kit # 480120 (the one available at the hobby shop I buy from), brings other markings than the ones on George H. Bush's plane...
39.gif

Fernao

I hear that the Hobby Boss kit is pretty good, but I have not seen one yet.

Terry B)

BigDog wrote:
Thanks, Terry!

emoticon_noidea.gif

39.gif

Fernao

Here ya go.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/148-hobby-boss-tbf-1c-avenger-80314-p16602.aspx

http://store.spruebrothers.com/148-hobby-boss-tbf-3-avenger-80325-p17715.aspx

http://store.spruebrothers.com/148-accurate-miniatures-tbf-tbm-avenger-george-bush-480120-p7435.aspx

Thanks for your help, Black-Sheep, but if I'm not mistaken Sprue Brothers is located in Hong Kong, right? The thing is, when I buy my stuff from outside Brazil, I need it to be from the USA, due to my shipping arrangements (please don't ask: I don't wanna get busted by the Brazilian Customs/IRS).
emoticon_spy.gif
I found most of what I think I need at Megahobby.com and Hobbylinc.com, both American based. But thanks anyways! ;)

Thanks Terry and Moon for your insights too: I'll just have to make the best of things and hope for a presentable model at the end of the build...
emoticon_suspicious.gif

Fernao

BigDog wrote:
Thanks for your help, Black-Sheep, but if I'm not mistaken Sprue Brothers is located in Hong Kong, right? The thing is, when I buy my stuff from outside Brazil, I need it to be from the USA, due to my shipping arrangements (please don't ask: I don't wanna get busted by the Brazilian Customs/IRS).
emoticon_spy.gif
I found most of what I think I need at Megahobby.com and Hobbylinc.com, both American based. But thanks anyways! ;)

Thanks Terry and Moon for your insights too: I'll just have to make the best of things and hope for a presentable model at the end of the build...
emoticon_suspicious.gif

Fernao

Sprue Brothers is in the U.S. just up the road here in Missouri. So you should be all set.

Terry ;)

Terry wrote:
"Sprue Brothers is in the U.S. just up the road here in Missouri. ..."
I was under the assumption it was in Asia due to a friend of mine who told me so... :angry:

So then, Sprue Brothers... here I come!!! ;)

Cheers and thanks guys! :)
Fernao

If you want to do an Avenger the AM kits are very nice but hard to find. I believe Italieri took over the molds. The Hobby Boss kit might be a repop also. I dont know for sure, but as to quality I have a Sturmovik and it is very nice. The Trumpeter kits are well worth the price but remember they are 1/32 and big. The only issues I have with them are the metal hinged control surfaces, but they still go together nice, and the bomb bay open. I have 3 of these kits and you dont need aftermarket. Some simple scratching will work. As for markings I like Montex masks http://www.montex-mask.com/html/oferta_en.htm . You spray them on. They have a number of marlings in both scales. Look under the super mask table as they have the complete making. You can buy them in the US from http://design-marketingintl.com/index.php?cPath=88&osCsid=67618fe626fc3ee15e1c99b5c925340c&osCsid=67618fe626fc3ee15e1c99b5c925340c

Hope that helps some.

Oh and decide if you want a TBF or TBM. There are differences.

James

Hi James,

Nice of you help me out here...

I hadn't noticed that the Trumpeter kit was 1/32... how could I have missed that?!?
Emoticon_drooldead.gif

I fortunately found an Accurate Miniatures TBF Avenger in 1/48, for what I deem to be a reasonable price (US$ 38.00), so I guess it'll be my weapon of choice for this GB. Now, I don't know about "simple scratching"... I'm new to all this military modelling, so probably any scratching won't be that simple to me... :lol:

As for the TBF vs TBM thing, again you are right James: there are differences between those too designations, other than the TBMs being produced at a General Motors plant: the TBM had a more powerful engine, as well as wing hardpoints for rockets and drop tanks, that the TBF didn't. I'll go the TBF-1 way. Thanks for the heads-up!
101.gif

I tried to find the Montex masks both on the American and Canadian oficial dealers, respectively Design Marketing International and Airconnection, but had no luck :( - they only have the parts for the Trumpeter kit... Will keep looking. ;)

Cheers and thanks for the help! :)
Fernao

Hi Guys,

Albeit all the help I got from you people I missed out on buying the one Accurate Minatures Avenger that interested me, that I found on the net... Lesson learned the hard way: when you fnd what you want, buy it immediately!
emoticon_nod.gif

But this mishap led to an interesting development, as I started to look for an other bomber to build. And although I fell in love with the Savoia Marchetti 79-II (a beautiful aircraft!), I decided to go the safe way and get myself a Revell 1/32 JU-88A, by advice of a member here at TnT: he suggested that being a newb and all, perhaps I should try building a bigger model, to make things easier. ;)

So if the rules allow it, and if it's okay with Moon Pup (I mean, it looks as if he's gonna build one too
emoticon_noidea.gif
), I would like to change my choice build to the Ju-88A mentioned above. :unsure:

Thanks for all the help I got with the Avenger issue!
notworthy.gif

Fernao

Back