• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

An old Otaki Fw 190 is being built...

matrixone

Another one of my older kits that has been in my stash for at least 20 years is this Otaki Fw 190, this one will be built as an aircraft that survived the war but was abandoned in a remote part of Germany and has been sitting out in the open for a long time and and is badly weathered, thats the reason why I painted some Alclad II on the model.

401236716.jpg

Matrixone

Thanks Buddho!
So far an easy build, this older kit does have a few problems though, for example the wheels are not correct for the Fw 190A-8 and are the earlier spoked type and don't even match the painting on the box top.

Matrixone

Build it. Paint it. Be HAPPY! :yipee Just don't paint it lime green because I couldn't stand that..... :D

for example the wheels are not correct for the Fw 190A-8 and are the earlier spoked type and don't even match the painting on the box top.

Since my model received Ultracast replacements, I may have a set left over but they are from either Eduard, Tamiya, or Hasegawa. Yours if you're in the US, for postage if anywhere else.

PM me and I will look. Should I find a pair (or more), I'll take a photo and post here so you can tell me if you want it sent.

Regards,

Thanks Adam, Moon Puppy, and Sharkmouth!

Sharkmouth,
I greatly appreciate your offer for the replacement wheels but I will build this one as is, the whole purpose of this model is an experiment in paint fading and weathering. I don't usually like my aircraft models to look over weathered but want to make an exception with this model.

Matrixone

Did more painting on the Otaki Fw 190, in this case the uppersurface colors on the wings and tailplane.
Also I used the salt weathering technique to add some paint chipping to the wingroot.

401292416.jpg

401292418.jpg

Matrixone

A short while ago I finished painting the rest of the camouflage and the paint is drying.

Here is a pic of what the undersurfaces look like after the pre-shading was finished, I usually don't like to have the pre-shading this heavy on my models but after the markings are put on the model the other steps in the weathering process will tone down the pre-shading to the point it will barely be noticed.

401292419.jpg

Matrixone

I know this model well, I just recently I made him a facelifting (FW-190A Lt. Ericha Rudorffer commander of II/JG.2, Tunisia 1943). It will be very interesting to see it performed by someone else (y)

2342339980102052667S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks Adam!

I hope to start painting the weathering on it Friday, this model will look very different soon!

Matrixone

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record........but once again........ Beauty Les I really enjoy watching you lay down the paint.

Thanks guys!
I used a bunch of older decals from my spares box on this model and most went on with no problem but a few are not laying down too good. After I get the decal problem sorted I can start painting on the weathering.

Matrixone

Thanks a lot nerdling!

Okay, here are two pics that show the dry brushing I did today...yes it looks a mess (its supposed to) and the next phase of the extreme weathering I am doing on this model will be done with the airbrush, first up will be enamel paints and then I will airbrush the oil paints. The goal is to make the very uppersurfaces to look sun bleached.
401398630.jpg

401398649.jpg

Matrixone

Back