• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

All Righty ... What's on the bench today?

Ok, Isaiah (my son) & I have decided 2 do the Skunk Works SR-71 tail number 17955 flying with the landing gear down (landing). Looks like most of the pics I've seen of the Blackbird landing have the vertical stabilizers turned, so I'm looking 4 detailed pics of this bird's tail section, landing gear & any details that set this particular model apart from the rest. Did this model have the refueling port behind the cockpit? Where is the pivot point on the vertical stabilizers? Were there any differences in the paint schemes on this model versus the others? Any help in getting the details correct would be appreciated. Thanx in advance. As always, feedback is welcomed. BTW, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Not sure what you mean by "turned" Earnest. The vertical rudders were pretty much like any other plane though I "think" the whole upper section rotated to act like a rudder. Otherwise if setting parked on the landing gear they were aligned straight.

The YF-12 had a third rudder located bottom center that folded up flat along the underside when landing. Saw one of the SR-71 planes at the space museum in Huntsville Alabama recently. I think they were getting ready to mount it as a gate guard, but it was sitting on it's landing gear in the parking lot. Quite weathered and had some surface rust in spots on the upper surface. Was interesting to see one there.

Not sure what you mean by "turned" Earnest. The vertical rudders were pretty much like any other plane though I "think" the whole upper section rotated to act like a rudder. Otherwise if setting parked on the landing gear they were aligned straight.

The YF-12 had a third rudder located bottom center that folded up flat along the underside when landing. Saw one of the SR-71 planes at the space museum in Huntsville Alabama recently. I think they were getting ready to mount it as a gate guard, but it was sitting on it's landing gear in the parking lot. Quite weathered and had some surface rust in spots on the upper surface. Was interesting to see one there.

Here's what I mean by "turned":
http://www.sky-flash.com/sr71/09.jpg

Ok, Isaiah (my son) & I have decided 2 do the Skunk Works SR-71 tail number 17955 flying with the landing gear down (landing). Looks like most of the pics I've seen of the Blackbird landing have the vertical stabilizers turned, so I'm looking 4 detailed pics of this bird's tail section, landing gear & any details that set this particular model apart from the rest. Did this model have the refueling port behind the cockpit? Where is the pivot point on the vertical stabilizers? Were there any differences in the paint schemes on this model versus the others? Any help in getting the details correct would be appreciated. Thanx in advance. As always, feedback is welcomed. BTW, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Here's a pretty good shot of the bird in question.

http://www.sr-71.org/photogallery/blackbird/17955/index.php?file=17955-lockheed-01.jpg

Looks like the refueling door is behind the cockpit, might be mistaken but I think they all did.

The rudder/stablizers acted as a speed brake on landing.

Here's another goods shot that shows clearly where the pivot point was on the rudder.

http://www.sr-71.org/photogallery/blackbird/17955/index.php?file=17955-afftc-02.jpg

How's that work for ya Ernie?

WOW! What a neat gellery of images!

Notice the tires and landing gear in image #16? Plus the engine exhaust cone colours in images #4, #13 and #17.

Great stuff! thanks for posting the images from that gallery.

Cheers

Yep refuel point behind cockpit. All of the birds were black, but depending on how you do it they streamed fuel quite a bit and so had a bit of residue. Wheels might be done with Vallejo light rubber, I think it would be a good match, but you will have to experiment to add a metallic mixture in as the wheels were metal impregnated rubber so they would not burn up and explode. I think the A-12s were all black also but to do that you would need to do serious conversion work on the nose and get a drone.
James

Early on they were only black around the edges. The center areas were natural metal and were a dull grey metal color. Have a photo of a bunch sitting parked but don't have access to it at the moment.

Here's a pretty good shot of the bird in question.

http://www.sr-71.org/photogallery/blackbird/17955/index.php?file=17955-lockheed-01.jpg

Looks like the refueling door is behind the cockpit, might be mistaken but I think they all did.

The rudder/stablizers acted as a speed brake on landing.

Here's another goods shot that shows clearly where the pivot point was on the rudder.

http://www.sr-71.org/photogallery/blackbird/17955/index.php?file=17955-afftc-02.jpg

How's that work for ya Ernie?
Awesome. Thanx,pup.

While I am away from the eagle's nest, I took the day to drive up to Springfield Missouri to meet and visit with Bob Letterman. (Sorry no pics till Sunday when I get home) Spent the afternoon visiting with him while his lovely wife decided to brave the mall. I spent about 4 1/2 hours listening to the wonderful stories and looking in awe at the fine collection of dioramas and acquisitions he has in "The Museum". I am sure there are many more stories that would be wonderful to hear. :notworthy

I do want to thank Bob for allowing me to come by for the visit and to look over his many treasures. The conversation and stories were the real treasures though. I look forward to my next trip up there and might even be able to bring my daughter along as well as Paulw.

Yep refuel point behind cockpit. All of the birds were black, but depending on how you do it they streamed fuel quite a bit and so had a bit of residue. Wheels might be done with Vallejo light rubber, I think it would be a good match, but you will have to experiment to add a metallic mixture in as the wheels were metal impregnated rubber so they would not burn up and explode. I think the A-12s were all black also but to do that you would need to do serious conversion work on the nose and get a drone.
James

Any detailed pics of the refueling point? Our kit does not come with the refueling point built in, so I'll have to build it mymyself. The kit does come with a drone, but we hadn't planned on mounting it on the Blackbird. It comes with a drone carriage, but the instructions say it needs to be bright yellow? Any pics of that would be appreciated as well.

So which kit do you have Ernie?

The A12/M21 aircraft was what the drone was mated on. The SR71 would be a much longer aircraft.

LockheedM21-D21.jpg

I don't see no yellow on this at all. Pretty cool scheme, titanium and black. :pilot

So which kit do you have Ernie?

The A12/M21 aircraft was what the drone was mated on. The SR71 would be a much longer aircraft.

LockheedM21-D21.jpg

I don't see no yellow on this at all. Pretty cool scheme, titanium and black. :pilot

This is the kit I have:
http://www.revell.com/model-kits/aircraft/85-5810.html#.WDnW6OhOlJ8

The yellow is on the drone carriage shown in the photo.

Trying to get the hobby room and desk back in order! Spent the last week upgrading our house's heating system. Off the oil and moved over to electric and heat pumps!

But, I have been working on those Friul tracks and have them all pre-drilled and on to assembly! Man these are tedious!!

Excellent! I actually got some work done in my Hobby Room too. I three days I was able to put on four wheels on one of my Boxers. Wow, at this rate, I'll be done by next year! :blink :woohoo: :woohoo:

:blink

That looks bloody brilliant Terry. Now I don't want to even attempt the couple pieces of armor I've got as I know they'd wind up looking like a fresh steamer in comparison. :rotf

But hey, that's years of experimentation and experience for ya. :good:

Back