• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

All Righty ... What's on the bench today?

What made it to my bench today?
Like I said, thinking about a monoplane

h0adaa4a.jpg

Free month membership to the first one who IDs it. :coolio

Nice to see another classic being built.
But with that clamp on the nose must be something "rotten in Denmark"? :stinker

The St. Chamond continues, albit slowly, cause I'm trying to build it with less than my usual ton of mistakes

sneak peak
d013f00b.gif

IMG_6352_zpsnoau65sc.jpg

The first of the top angles going on

It's an incomplete mono so I'll guess it's a nucleosis. VBEG LOL

Spirit of St. Louis?

Cheers

Ding ding ding! :ro:

Steve that clamp is just for dry fit. It's the 1:32 scale Aerotech kit.

The only review I can find on it said that it only took a couple of days to build. I can sort of see that, if I had all day to build it.

Ian, that is clean... :idonno

WOW I'm officially impressed. 1/32? Neat.

if you want some fun you could cut the spinner down to a less sharp point and add machining to it and that would be how the Spirit was when she took off from San Diego to St. Louis and ultimately New York to set up for the crossing.
The unmachined sharper spinner, shown on the model and all post flight photos, was swapped in prior to the flight because of a crack found in the original.

It's an incomplete mono so I'll guess it's a nucleosis. VBEG LOL

Spirit of St. Louis?

Cheers

Ding ding ding! :ro:

Steve that clamp is just for dry fit. It's the 1:32 scale Aerotech kit.

The only review I can find on it said that it only took a couple of days to build. I can sort of see that, if I had all day to build it.

Ian, that is clean... :idonno

Ha! You think that is dirty, you should see my workbench! :frantic

Speaking of my workbench, here's what's been happening on it lately....

This week was good to me so now I have a not-so-small update.

I'll start out with the model of the Italeri Italian Heavy artillery piece made from soft plastic. I found a Plastic Primer spray similar to one recommended by someone else. I couldn't find the Krylon brand. I shot a coat of this primer on so that I could move on and paint this thing:

WIP_Big_Italian_Gun_II.jpg

Here is a shot of the crew that I also primered:

WIP_Big_Italian_Gun_III.jpg

Another small thing I did: I filled a lot of the seams and other issues on the C-46 Commando and set it aside for sanding later:

WIP_C_46_IX.jpg

Moving on to other models, I figured that I should move on with that little FT-17 now that it is fully built. I shot a coat of Olive Drab over it first:

WIP_MBI_WWI_GB_XX~0.jpg

WIP_MBI_WWI_GB_XXI~0.jpg

Next I took the tracks and dry-brushed some Humbrol Gun Metal paint over them:

WIP_MBI_WWI_GB_XXIa.jpg

It is a dark grey metallic that looked pretty good on this. It looked so good, I dry-brushed some on the flat-black exhausts on the F-4 Phantom:

WIP_OOB_GB_Phantom_XVIII.jpg

Getting back to the FT-17, I added the tracks to this little model. I was quite surprised at how well they looked; at least to me:

WIP_MBI_WWI_GB_XXII.jpg

WIP_MBI_WWI_GB_XXIII.jpg

Just for fun, I tucked it into the back of the Mack truck that will be holding it:

WIP_MBI_WWI_GB_XXIV.jpg

Now all I have to do is decal that and weather it and it'll be done.

Now back to the Phantom. I had shot a gloss coat over it in preparation for decals. On Friday last, I spent 3 and 1/2 hours applying all the stencils and other decals. Here it is after I shot a dullcoat and removed the masking from the canopy:

WIP_OOB_GB_Phantom_XVI~0.jpg

WIP_OOB_GB_Phantom_XVII~0.jpg

I also dry-brushed a little copper paint on the exhaust to give it a bit more of a burnt metal effect.

This Phantom is now done; you can see the finished pics in the Aircraft Forums.

Moving along again, I decided to start one of my Russian armored trains for a couple railroad-themed Group Builds I joined. This model is gonna be a tough one.

First of all, they have you assemble all the wheels to the axles. So, to make sure they lined up, I put them between two thick sanding sticks that were set parallel to each other:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_I.jpg

I competed the two sets of wheels and set them aside to dry. Meanwhile, I figured I'd build the turrets that go on this car. Trouble struck from the start. Trying to remove two parts from the sprues resulted in them, breaking. The gun barrel end snapped off and flew into oblivion, and the mantlet section snapped in half. You can see them indicated by the two arrows:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_II.jpg

This is going to be a long build.....

I cut a section of plastic rod that was closest to the size of the third part of the gun barrel; cut the broken part off and replaced it with the styrene rod:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_III.jpg

Eventually I got the two turrets assembled that go on this car:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_IV.jpg

Finally, a fun shot of the car as it will mostly look like with the turrets on. the top half is only snapped in place and the turrets are also just placed in place:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_V.jpg

I'd had enough of that so I called it a day by then. Hopefully soon I'll have more to show. Until then, comments are welcome, thanks for looking in.

Rock. Eight bags of drainage rock. Eight bags of drainage rock spread out in front of the steps up to our back porch to cover the mud pit from the rain. This will keep the dogs from tracking in so much mud.

rock_zpst6ngfhj7.jpg

Well, that 1/48 Tomcat I was working on went into a flat spin, i.e. I dropped it, and the nose broke off. I know I can fix it but I'm just as easily tempted to trash it. :bang head

Here's a small update for today. I say small, but it took me a good four and a half hours to get this much done to this point.

The FT-17 tank for the tank/truck combo is finished, you can check it out in the Armored Forums now. I think it looks great, although the pics don't show it as well as I'd like them to.

This is my 1/72 scale Vicker's Valiant after all the decals have been applied and a dullcoat sprayed over it. I also removed the masking from the windows, engine intakes and the landing gear bays. Now I can complete this model. The next pics you see of this will be the completed pics... provided I can find a large enough place to shoot a decent couple of pics!

Underneath:

WIP_Valiant_XXIII.JPG

Above:

WIP_Valiant_XXIV.JPG

There were almost as many stencils on this to apply to the Valiant as the Phantom, but it was harder since this was so much larger, making it harder to move around. I can't wait to get this one done; it will be number five or six on my Modeling New Years Resolution list.

Thanks all for looking in, comments are always welcome.

Rock. Eight bags of drainage rock. Eight bags of drainage rock spread out in front of the steps up to our back porch to cover the mud pit from the rain. This will keep the dogs from tracking in so much mud.

rock_zpst6ngfhj7.jpg

:rotf Wishful thinking...Ask me how I know. :mpup

Well, that 1/48 Tomcat I was working on went into a flat spin, i.e. I dropped it, and the nose broke off. I know I can fix it but I'm just as easily tempted to trash it. :bang head

Geeze - I thought that's the way it was supposed to go. I always break most of the gunnery off a carrier build, many times more than once. I just assumed everybody did the same. :bang head Every build I do gets minor (or major) repair work.

EJ

After taking a break from my Tomcat for a few days and reading all of these encouraging words to fix it, I decided to go ahead and tough it out.

I'm using a mix of bondo and gel super glue to get back to "flying status".

Thanks guys!

Back