• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

All Righty ... What's on the bench today?

All Righty ... What are you doing today ?

Had some free time yesterday so I went for a hike as my physical activity has been sorely lacking since my shoulder injury. There is a Provincial Park close by that I usually go to for that sort of thing and there is one place on the trail that I usually run into the odd shell casing from the WWII era as much of the area was used for training during that time period. There is still a Cadet camp in town where the old army camp used to be. Anyway, I haven't seen any casings for a couple of years but today i picked up half a dozen. Most of them are stamped 1943 but this time I found one stamped 1940.

IMG_0457_zpsd69c47b1.jpg

I thought that was pretty cool but then I decided to visit the waterfall which is off the beaten path and accessible only by what is little more than a game trail so not many people know about it. You have to hike up the creek bed to get to the actual water fall. There in the creek was a tail fin from a 2 inch mortar shell. :coolio Luckily the business end was no longer attached so I brought it home along with what looks like a piece of shrapnel from the actual shell. Every couple of years someone finds an intact shell and the army has to be called in to dispose of it.

IMG_0454_zps6530d148.jpg

IMG_0455_zps08f88b50.jpg

IMG_0458_zps96f23775.jpg

I think its pretty cool to come across this stuff here in Canada. Probably a lot more common over in places where the fighting actually took place.

That is cool Dave. Reminds me I need to go out with the "Old Sheriff" (He was Sheriff before I worked for Sherman County SO) here and do some searching of the Kidder Massacre, with him. He keeps inviting me to go when he does but I always have something going on.

But today here it is JEFFREY WORK ON MODEL DAY! After I mow the lawn and go to work for about a hour. :yipee

Probably a lot more common over in places where the fighting actually took place.

Cool find,Dave!
I live in a area where a lot of fighting took place during WW2,remains of ammo and weapons can still be found up to this day around here.

Sometimes people will find intact bombs and mortar rounds and bring it to the next police station and put it on the desk:'look what I've found in my garden'.The cops usually are horrified if that happens. :laugh:

Greetings,Ron.

Dave man you be careful pokin' around that old stuff!

We use to hear all the time about old munitions being found around construction sites in the lower part of the state, even in and around Columbia. Not so much nowadays, guess it's all be played out.

Yard work for me today, get out and enjoy some sun. Bench time later.

I remember reading a book about metal detecting near Bastogne. It had an interesting story of a guy that found an intact 88 round. He decided to try and dry it out in his oven. Lets just say that didn't end well for him. If you want to see some really nice stuff that has been found go check out www.warrelics.eu There is a whole section of that forum about stuff that has been dug up. Lots of stuff found around the Stalingrad area.

I've been getting my new PC up and running- the old one died last weekend. It's a Lenovo IdeaCentre K450 and seems to be quite nice! I was able to save the info on my old drives, thanks to help from my IT friends at work- whew! Getting Dreamweaver to run, etc- still have to test all my Photoshop stuff. Gettin' there! We're also pug-sitting for friends, so there's an extra snorer in the house. :mpup

Well today is kind of just a boring day around the house. We spent the entire day yesterday at the county fair, was a pretty fun time. Today I pick up my entries into the hobby section of the fair. Came away with 3 first places and 1 second. So not to shabby. Tomorrow it is back to work.

Well today is kind of just a boring day around the house. We spent the entire day yesterday at the county fair, was a pretty fun time. Today I pick up my entries into the hobby section of the fair. Came away with 3 first places and 1 second. So not to shabby. Tomorrow it is back to work.

:nopics

Camera batteries were dead yesterday :bang head But really there wasn't anything besides my stuff and a few cars. Not a real show to be honest.

Camera batteries were dead yesterday :bang head But really there wasn't anything besides my stuff and a few cars. Not a real show to be honest.

But that was at your county fair?

Yep. Only county fair I've ever seen that did that. They actually have a category for just about every type of hobby you can imagine.

That is cool. At the local club here I suggested we do something at the next fair here.

Yep. Only county fair I've ever seen that did that. They actually have a category for just about every type of hobby you can imagine.

Our county did that years ago, before the county muked up the way the Fair is done. That's where I won my only model show! USS North Carolina won 1st in my age category, 8 or 9 I think. Been resting on that win since then... :facepalm

Messed around with some old projects today. Found them last week after unpacking a couple of boxes marked "Model Parts." I might go back and use/restart a couple and a couple I'm parting out. I have another big box out in the garage I think has some of the missing parts.

SLA M50 - parting out - I could never get the track to work
SLAM504_zps9abc69e2.jpg

SLAM503_zpsba9dc4ba.jpg

SLAM502_zps7fd04545.jpg

SLAM50_zps11050293.jpg

Tamiya M4A3 76mm - not 100% sure but thinking of completing the build. Yep that is home made brass sand bag framing (at least 18 years old) turret is from Armor research I think
M4A376mm2_zps80f264b7~0.jpg

DSC07982_zps7784dc83~0.jpg

DML M4A3E8 first release - parting out - same here could not get the track to work - better kits out now
DMLM4A3E83_zps1940de59.jpg

DMLM4A3E8_zps0c9c50f7.jpg

AFV Club M548 - going to try to complete - I like the paint job so far
M5486_zpse7de46ae.jpg

M5485_zpseae9fb86.jpg

M5484_zps34917c92.jpg

M5483_zps3a2bcb9c.jpg

M5482_zps6be59320.jpg

Revell sling shot fragster frame and body - this is cool, I have a couple ideas for it
DSC08072_zps3592c1c3.jpg

AMT 29 Model A Roadster Land speed body - front part of the body is trash, I think that is why I quit messing with it - have an idea for this too
DSC08070_zps9422b3ea.jpg

DSC08071_zps92d22222.jpg

Revell Nascar truck - plan was to turn it into a Pikes Peak hill climb racer, mid engine - just a bunch of parts right now, I do have good off road tires for it!
DSC08069_zps49216331.jpg

AMT 69 Cougar - There is no engine in the mix of parts - might put it to work
DSC08064_zpsa520a173.jpg

DSC08063_zpsc2e0306f.jpg

:drinks

Well, bring it on then :cheer: I thinks you just showed us some very promising builds here (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Shalom Shedrman 18.

As long as you're parting it out. Want to sell the M-50 turret?

Cheers from Peter

All three of the county fairs out here do that. I'm thinking of bringing in some of mine to show.

Taking it easy this afternoon. Just got home from the dr's office where I got a cortisone shot in my left shoulder. Been bothering me since Friday and decided to have the dr's look at it today.

Back