• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airfix Hawker Typhoon IB

I put some paint to plane today but have run into a few problems

even though the plane was washed throughly the vallejo paint is fragile and is lifting and flaking even at the softest of touches

Ill see how it goes but I may have to strip and tamiya it instead

Heres the pics

Just a quick guide to the kit instructions to get the basic shapes going
IMAG0235.jpg

Another shot
IMAG0236.jpg

Here`s the paint mixes I used,..all vallejo the Ocean grey areas maybe look a bit grey and needs a wash of field blue to ummmmmmmmmmm blue it up a bit
IMAG0238.jpg

The green was made with an undercoat of German camo dark green and then Andrea Napoleonic green

Still plenty to do and after submitting these photos I really mucked up the yellow stripes down the leading wing edges ( I am not going to show you pics of that )

guessing you didn't have a primer Andy? Vallejo really sticks well to a primer. It's looking good but be careful!

Andy, the paint job result is good (y)
But, if was my build I strip the colors and apply a Primer (Vallejo has good ones in very diferent colors)
Primer sell at Lucky Model or from Tamiya or Humbrol (wich must be easier to find in UK :hmmm ). To them repaint the model the find a better finish. :eek:hyeah
Just a suggestion lad...

Cheers :drinks

Art

Thank you all,.. Yes on hindsight I should have used the primer as the Airfix plastic has quite a waxy feel to it

Ive removed the yellow stripe now so I have the option to go down the strip route or continue being very careful and varnish the plane instead

Decisions decisions

Andy, I prime everything with Tamiya primmer . Acrylic just does not stick good to bare plastic.

I use the Vallejo primmer on small places that will not require further work.

Cheers, Christian B)

Quick update with some painting refinements

Gone over the sea Grey

hc5eb273.jpg

Better shaping of the green camo

hfcd3679.jpg

Just leaves now one more coat of the topside sea grey to finish of the painting stage

ok so heres a question now plane chaps

Do I varnish now then add decals then weather or whats your procedure when dealing with planes and at what stage do I add paint chips etc etc etc ?

Building a plane is a lot different to tanks or vehicles or should i treat it the same ?

Picture lighting is crap as Ive just blown a bulb in my model light :huh:

seal it with a gloss coat, decals, seal it again. Personal preference to do gloss or flat, I suppose it depends on how much weathering you'll do. Weather, seal it. That way if you screw up weathering you can clean it up without messing up the decals.

:popcorn

Cool cheers Roberto,...

what about chipping of panels for example where the guns are house or the engine panels what stage do you do that ?

I'd probably do it after weathering, but if you want a chip to look old, prior to weathering, or during weathering. I've never been that good on the chipping Andy.

Tis a very nice kit but in the hands of the inexperienced it can soon become a disaster :pinch:

Guys how the bloody hell do you do decals so well,....... I am

HAVING A NIGHTMARE :angry: :S :eek:hmy: :huh: :unsure: :idonno

:zen :zen :zen :zen :zen

Back