• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airbrush suggestions/recommendations

Hi All

I'm in the market for a new airbrush, but am not so sure on what to get. I am happy enough with using a double action device, but as there are so many out there, it is hard to choose.

As our hobbies are not a priority for major spending, I am looking for a good all-rounder.. something that is a good price for the features you get (in other words, I won't be buying several airbrushes, it really needs to only be one).

With a bit of reading around, I keep stumbling on brand names like Iwata, Badger, Paasche etc.. but I have no idea which model(s) are worth looking at and which offer the best value for money.

All help appreciated

Cheers

Rob

the iwata revolution cr is a very good allrounder ...

large cup, capable of spraying very thin lines up to large area spraying, low price, easy to strip and clean ...

Good suggestion, but consider the B-model as well. Its smaller cup makes it a bit better balanced. I find the C-model a bit nose heavy.

Another nice one is the Tamiya HG II and my current fav is the Badger Renegade.
James

This may seem a little silly but i wonder with all the personal preferences towards different airbrushes, If we are taking into consideration that folks have different hands? Mine are wide and square, i don't have pointed fingers, so something that someone with delicate hands likes, may be to streamlined for mine to hold comfortably. maybe I'm just being nitty here, but i make my living with tools and I like a tool that can be held firmly, yet is easily balanced. Just my 2 cents.

This may seem a little silly but i wonder with all the personal preferences towards different airbrushes, If we are taking into consideration that folks have different hands? Mine are wide and square, i don't have pointed fingers, so something that someone with delicate hands likes, may be to streamlined for mine to hold comfortably. maybe I'm just being nitty here, but i make my living with tools and I like a tool that can be held firmly, yet is easily balanced. Just my 2 cents.

Maybe this one is more to your liking then,CR?;http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/74510hg_trigger/hg_trigger.htm

Greetings,Ron.

One thing about the trigger action airbrushes. Remember that they are a bit harder for detailing. Not impossible, but it is harder to get really close with them than the pen grip airbrushes.

Well, I'll throw my 25 C in for what ever it's worth. Some people prefer one or the other for various reasons . Whether it be the price, the availability of parts in your area or the type of painting you do weather it is generally bigger areas or fine detail ( such as myself ).

I used a badger 150 for years and then found a gravity feed brush ( badger ) at one of their garage sales. ( great deal )

I would never go back to a bottom feed for detail work . Since then I have bought an Iwata hp B plus and I must say, that it's the difference between a Ford and a Cadillac.

The had to shop to get one at a descent price but it can be done. I had considered the the Tamiya HG but I have no idea where I would find parts here.

There's some things to think about .

Cheers, Christian B)

No matter what brand of airbrush you choose get a gravity feed airbrush. Not only do they work better for painting small details they are easy and quick to clean.

You did not say what type of models you build but for painting most models an airbrush capable of spraying fine detail is of value so get an airbrush that has a good reputation for reliably painting fine detail. Remember an airbrush that can spray fine detail can also paint larger surfaces (it just takes a few minutes longer) but an airbrush that was made to spray large surfaces usually CANNOT spray fine detail.

I have seven different airbrushes including an Iwata HP-B Plus and Custom Micron and the airbrush that I have found to be the most useful is the Iwata Revolution BR and it is my go-to airbrush for painting models of all sizes.

Below is a 1/100 scale Me 262 that was painted with the Iwata Revolution BR, except for the places I needed to have a sharp edge the model was painted free-handed. The backdrop I used in the background in this picture was also painted with the Revolution BR.
402211560.jpg

Here is another 1/100 scale model that was painted with the Revolution BR, the complete camouflage was painted free-handed with no masking at all.
402211646.jpg

402211655.jpg

Matrixone

Moon Puppy,
The Revolution BR can do anything the HP-B Plus can do and is cheaper, its still Lexus quality at a Toyota price. B)

Matrixone

Uncle Tony has got me thinking about acquiring a Badger Krome, :hmmm Maybe I'll find one on vacation?? :eek:hyeah

Back