• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Accurate Miniatures Yak-1

sharkman

Master at Arms
Just got as far as taking the obligatory kit pics last night. Might not get a start until this weekend though.

Looks like a nice kit!

yak1_zpsd668a331.jpg

yak2_zps4428d0b3.jpg

This'll be my first AM build! :pilot

Great job on the cockpit. Overall it is a nice kit. The only issue is the seam where the top section of the fuselage meets the sides.

Thanks guys!

Got the cockpit finished up (minus the belts and IP)

yak6_zpsae211814.jpg

Then did a bit of sanding on this small ledge behind the seat.

yak8_zps94a79c99.jpg

yak7_zps67d83b45.jpg

Might have this closed up soon!

I finally got a couple hours last night, first time in almost a couple weeks to spend a bit of time at the bench. Been taking a SCUBA Rescue course. So, I chose to work on this one.

Got the top of the fuse on and the rear wings. That worked very well. I love the thought that went into building this kit so far.

yak9_zpsef4ce6e9.jpg

Then I ran into trouble!  It all began with part D20, the wing spar.

yak10_zps0fd6d651.jpg

This piece was a major pain in the #%$. I'm not sure if my lower wing was a bit warped or not but it did not fit in correctly and there was no way I was going to be able to secure both sides to the lower wing at once. I tried clamps but the spar is too thin for the clamps to support.

Anyway, I ended up making a little mess that will have to be cleaned up, along with some glue on the bottom of the wing that I'll have to take care of.

yak11_zps8173be33.jpg

yak12_zps2a7030c7.jpg

yak13_zpsd2ab30b7.jpg

I should be able to fix it, and I'll secure the other side of the spar once this side is done. Very frustrating though. If anyone else is considering this kit, I would suggest you glue one side of the spar, then the other when you come to this step!

The instrument panel came out nice so far though. The gauge decal goes on from behind. I'll use some liquid mask to cover the faces and then paint it.

yak14_zps24998d15.jpg

Well, that brought back the memory of salt water in my mouth. Never saw the rescue class offered though .

Nice looking kit . I hope you get that spar problem resolved.

How funny, I just bought a previously started kit( unbeknownst to me ) of a Russian bomber.
Apparently he gave it up because the front spar was too big ? :(

Very nice looking cockpit in the Yak :)

Cheers, Christian B)

Some more work this evening, just to keep things different!

I got the wing spar tackled and tamed! I'll still have some cleaning up to do though.

and got the wings on. These actually went together really nicely.

What didn't go so well was this little part, C49. I've read that a lot of these Yak kits this piece was lost. Not sure why AM didn't incorporate this piece into the lower wing....

I'll still have some seam filling and clean up to do.

Well, there's where she sits for now. Once everything is cleaned up there's not too much left. landing gear, canopy, prop, fiddly bits and paint.

Going to bed now. I'll see if I can check out what else has been going on in the morning!  

Back