• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Academy Patton...Finished

Academy Patton...Paint and Chipping

Ihave to chime in here and say it just looks perfect, I wouldn't change anything, it is second to none, Sir

Many thanks.

With some information provided from another site I went back and cleaned up the hull and turret as they apparently did not chip as I have it portrayed. This build to be honest has really shown my inexperience with armor builds.

Joe

Joe I would suggest going out by your local VFW hall and check out their gate guards.

Many thanks for looking in.

MP unfortunately here the "gate guard" is a small piece of field artillery. And it is relatively new. I do remember one from when I was a kid and I remember it having a touch of chipping. I definitely do not want to go overboard with the weathering. To me that would be a form of disrespect.

Joe

I hear you Joe but consider these things sit out in the elements with zero maintenance other than a fresh paint job every 10 years or so.

Academy Patton...Oils

Well folks here we go again.

Warning, the pictures for the most part do not show the actual colors portrayed. The pictures show a much "warmer" tone or yellowish tint.

Now for the not so regular update.

Using oils the process of weathering begins. Several different oils are used to show the streaks. There are so far three separate sessions dedicated to this attempt. To be honest the results are not matching up to the intent.

Oils-1_zps3008xjwe.jpg

Oils-2_zpserejyic9.jpg

Oils-3_zps0ztbzujy.jpg

Oils-4_zpswrmkrrnp.jpg

Oils-5_zpspfp7ftgm.jpg

Oils-6_zpsboev7twd.jpg

Oils-7_zpsvtbcx3jk.jpg

Oils-8_zpsgk77ysow.jpg

Oils-9_zpss5jybj97.jpg

Oils-10_zpshchvbu6s.jpg

Oils-11_zpshaunlh7n.jpg

Oils-12_zps8b8cvblx.jpg

As you can see the pictures do not do me any favors.

However now I believe I have taken the streaking as far as I should and can move on to the next stage.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are requested.

Joe

Well she is finished. At least I am going to call her finished. I did not add the antenna as my logic told me there were some things that would have been removed prior to installation as a gate guard. I am happy with the way this looks as in the last 37 years I have done only a dozen or so armor vehicles. Honestly not up to par with some of the work I have seen online but for this old aircraft builder it looks decent and portrays what I want.

Again this is the Academy M48A5K, or at least that is what it says on the box. The paints are Vellejo US Olive Drab, Gunze (I think) Dark Earth, Apple Barrel (Craft Paint) Black, Tamiya Buff, and Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. Built OOB.

Finished-1_zpsqhmaogyc.jpg

Finished-2_zps0iq8hfcr.jpg

Finished-3_zps0lbkyjlu.jpg

Finished-4_zpsvwph6ats.jpg

Finished-5_zpsfc3rtoz7.jpg

Finished-6_zpsvewpyrdi.jpg

Finished-7_zpsvjnf6lj7.jpg

Finished-8_zps3pyp8bly.jpg

Finished-9_zpsp1nmjrs7.jpg

Finished-10_zpshwgdashc.jpg

Finished-11_zpsyi1t938u.jpg

Finished-12_zpsodjy1tkk.jpg

All comments, critique, and criticism requested.

Joe

That came out great.
I really like the distressed/rust paint effects. Very convincing.

(y)

Cheers,

Bill

Magnificent job Joe! I think you captured the essence of this vehicle perfectly. Stunning work my friend; you may not be all that experienced with armor but you sure have the mad skills for it.

Joe, you should do more armor... several new kits include interiors which scream out for your cutaway treatment!

Regards,

Hi there Joe.

I think that you are being far too hard on yourself. That model looks fantastic! The only thing that I see that might not be right isthe searchlight glass being intact or the searchlight being on in a gate gurad. What i mean is, I think the glass would be covered or it might be vandalized. that of course deopends on how well protected the gate guard is. Some gate guards are fenced and others are exposed to everyone. I've also seen gate guards where EVERYTHING including thetracks and rubber tires on ther oad wheels was painted the same colour.

Again, I think this model is awesome looking.

BTW. I like how you chose to use different paints including the Apple Barrel acrylics. i find a lot of those craft paints actually have very fine pigments.

Cheers

Many many thanks all.

Saul you must have an ability to see the future. I have actually been asked to build more armor. Most of it however will not be publicly viewed, at least until they are published. Finishing up one now that should go off to the editor in the next week or so. More information about that at a later time.

Tank you are very kind. You are absolutely right as far as the searchlight. In reality that would have been either removed or covered. For me it just fit with what I wanted to do.

Again many thanks to all for looking in and the kind comments.

Joe

Many many thanks all.

Snipped

Tank you are very kind. You are absolutely right as far as the searchlight. In reality that would have been either removed or covered. For me it just fit with what I wanted to do.

Again many thanks to all for looking in and the kind comments.

Joe[/quote

Hi Joe.

A lot of times we'll try something either for fun or just to see if an idea will work. A long time ago i built a Tamiya M-48 Patton and decided to see if i could getthe searchlight to work. This is the result.

hb9de211.jpg

h26d542a.jpg

hcc1eaf4.jpg

Cheers

Back