• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Academy 1/72 F6F-3

dollar19

After a false start on the Sea King, I'm going to re-up with this submission. from the looks of it on the sprue it should build up a nice little model and not suck the life out of me building it. My hope is to get this one built in pretty short order and back it up with something else as a companion build.

So here we go with some start up pictures......
IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

I'm hoping to get a start on it today so maybe i'll have something to show shortly.

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

I made a start! Got the turtle back windows cut out and installed. I used Future as an adhesive to hold the clear parts in place. after a couple of hours to cure, I went around each one with a very carefully applied bead of CA. Then let that cure.

So while that was curing, I jumped into the basic pit assembly. There's not much provided in the kit, so this went pretty quickly. One little addition I made was to the armor / bulkhead behind pilot seat. There are these diagonal support struts, no one ever sees these on the dash 5 because the quarter windows aren't there. But on The dash 3 model they can be seen, so since the pit is so basic, and It just so happens I had some scrap PE.... I made that little adddition.

I don't think a lot will be seen once the fuselage sealed up so Im not going to fuss too much on it some paint and a harness and I'll be moving on.

I made a start! Got the turtle back windows cut out and installed. I used Future as an adhesive to hold the clear parts in place. after a couple of hours to cure, I went around each one with a very carefully applied bead of CA. Then let that cure.

Very neat technique. Never read that before. Now I know how I'm going to winder up my Sharkfin B17. :pilot

Very neat technique. Never read that before. Now I know how I'm going to winder up my Sharkfin B17. :pilot

Well Bob, I kind of pulled that out of my A$$. I used that trick way back on my Sunderland build. Lots of portholes and i didn't want to punch them out during masking, so I gave it a try. Future the clear parts, let it cure real good, and go sparingly with the CA. It does probably help having the fuselage in halves to keep the fumes from building up.

Anyway the cockpit is in and the fuselage is closed up and the wings are on! I'm pleased that the little bracing struts do show through the quarter windows. That's all I'm going for today, the honey do list is need some attention.

IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

First off let me tip my hat to my Fellow Hippy. Very sad news!

I've been long away from here and just haven't caught up with things.

In Early March my wife had a mammogram that showed some troublesome shadows. This lead to her doctor scheduling her for a second round of mammograms, which confirmed there is a suspicious mass. Then a series of ultra sound scans were scheduled.

On March 17th we got the phone call from the nursing home that my wife's mother had died during the night. This has been an event we have been expecting for well over a year, but it did come as a shock.

The ultra sounds showed what the mammograms had shown but with greater detail, so now the doctor wants an MRI, which we have done, only to reconfirm what we already know. The doctors now multiple ones
are all on board that she has breast cancer, and are preparing her for the possibility of a mastectomy, chemo and radiation.

just to be sure she has a biopsy done and after a week of nail biting the results come back negitive for cancer!!!!! But now they still want to do a lumpectomy just to be on the safe side that the lump wont become cancer down the road.

As you can see the past 2 months have been difficult here at home and I just haven't had much of the gitter done spirit. Once we get past this next step and the surgery is over with, and the missus is back to feeling better I'll get back on this.

Right now its about all either of us can do to get up go to work and fix dinner each day. We are both exhausted from the stress of this and her mother's death.

Don't count me out on getting back to the bench, I'm still in it to win it. :laugh:

Sending you some mega :zen Greg. Glad it was a false alarm and sorry for your loss. Lots going on for sure.

:zen :zen :zen :zen :zen

Sorry for your loss and hope they find nothing serious with the surgery. Better to be safe than sorry though. I hope things get better soon and the stress gets released. A;; the best. :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen
James

Greg, that is a lot to happen in so short a time. I'll be praying for you and your wife that all works out and you regain the peace you are looking for. I'll patiently wait as I pray to see your great models finally finished when you are up to it. Take your time; family comes first.

Sorry to read all these distressing news Jeff . From family history, I must say that the diagnosing for this problem still hit and miss .
I hope the lumpectomy goes well and she is on the mends soon . Prayers for your family .

Regards, Christian

Sending more good vibes your way Greg! Hope the surgery goes well. :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen

Thank you all for all the positive comments and send me some good mojo. The wife goes to consult with the surgeon on Monday to see if
and when a lumpectomy will be done. We'll see how that goes.

On a more positive note! I actually sat done at the bench and did some modelling. I think it's about ready to head to the paint shop. Here's a trio of pictures of the little cat as she sit up on the landing gear.
IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

I'm hopeful to get some paint shot in the near future.
Thanks for looking and really thanks for the good mojo.....

Greg, sorry for checking in so late. Even when expected, a loss in the family still shocks us as we don't usually know when.

Your wife seems strong and with medicine as it is now, she will be OK.

As for modeling, it is therapy for you as long as you enjoy it. You have your priorities and if modeling isn't high up there, we will be here when you have the time and inclination.

Regards,

Back