• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A4-B Skyhawk

iambrb

HAs anyone jumped in with a A-4 Skyhawk? I am particularly interested in doing one if OK.

PLEASE CONFIRM

;)

I don't think anyone is at the moment, but who cares if anyone else is doing it.....just DO IT!!! :bat

I like the little Scooter. It really doesn't get a lot of love. That and the SLUF.

I like the little Scooter. It really doesn't get a lot of love. That and the SLUF.

I too really like the SLUF, but while I will eventually get to that, when I do it will be the Italeri with the Myrtle Beach mid 70's insignia and camo. I remember seeing these when going to the beach as a kid.

OK GREAT! I WILL JUMP IN WITH THIS!!!

http://www.airfix.com/us-en/douglas-a-4b-4p-skyhawk-1-72.html

This is the Airfix 're-tooled' version. Build will be out of da' box, pretty much. may be a few weeks before I get rolling though!

OK! I would go ahead and post one, but per Ebay, my kit is currently in South Korea!

Here is where we start!

These new Airfix kits are quite something, especially in comparison to the old 70's kits! Only in one baggie as shown, but the parts are very nice indeed! In touching them, I can feel a bit of mold release agent, so they will require a good scrub, but that is NBD. Overall though I am excited to start, after I get a few others behind me!

You can build this up as either the VN version or a Falklands war version. While the falklands version is terribly tempting, I am going to go with the VN version....plus, the green lizard decal is pretty neat

well most of the stuff is here, so despite my abysmally slow construction rate on other projects, should be getting this puppy started soon

I am planning (if everything works out) to pose this open cockpit, so I decided to order the Quickboost seat with belts. The picture on SpruBro site made it seem larger, at least in my mind, than I had thought it would be. Although really very well detailed, that seat is not many steps above electron-microscope small. I also went ahead and sprung for the Hasegawa weapons set, as I intend to have a different bomb arrangement than the kit offers.

Hope to get started soon! :pilot

Thanks guys! I am picturing this open cockpit & armed. depending on how the tanks look, I may go with the centerline MER racking and two wing drop tanks, as a large number fo pics of the VN era show it this way, but we will see.

Ok so I am FINALLY getting this underway! I was hoping to pose this open-cockpit, so I bought the Quickboost resin Ejection seat. Really nice product!The resin ejection handle over the seat crumbled when I tried to remove it, so I got some multi strand coper wire from work, and peeled off/shaped/painted it to match & then glued it in. Here is the seat itself:

really gives an idea about the small scale here!
And here it is with the OOB stock decals installed:

After I snapped the pic I realized that onf of the dels had lifted slightly, I did get that corrected. And lastly, here is the cockpit installed.

Whoever said this was a neat kit was certainly right! I am enjying it, just with I had more time to put into it, but work has been beckoning as of late. At any rate I got to play a bit today and that is what countes! Going to see Bourne in a few hours so have to go, maybe I will gt some more time to dedicate to it tomorrow afternoon. Until then, Happy Modeling everyone! :pilot

Ok so I got back on this...what a neat little model! The last Airfix kit I built was a bagged kit from Flea-Bay for $1 + $4 shipping of an F-104. This was an old kit that was circa late 60's and 70's and brother, did it ever look it! By comparison this Airfix is so head and shoulders over the rest that there is no comparison!

Ok so here is where it sits. Just a few real hours of modeling & I am this far, sealed with nose wieghts and cockpit inside. As you can see there is some sanding and touch-up yet to go, but the detail in the cockpit is so good, I am thinking of doing this canopy open:

Ok so here on the underside I must admit my mistake regarding the interior of the wheelwells, don't hit me too hard there :smack

But in looking at this, I really need to know....did the A-4E, that carried 5 hardpoints have any other external differences with the B??? I do find it was in use during the VN timeframe and I would appreciate some education between regarding the external differences between the two, as I am seriously considering adding those other two hardpoints & creating the E version.

Not sure if I will get time on this tomorrow or not, but if I do I'll post 'em....thanks for looking!

Watch your seams back on the tail. need some more fillin', sandin' repeatin'.

For the differences, I don't know, they all had 4 underwing and 1 centerline hardpoints. I think read somewhere that only the inboard and centerline were wet, meaning it could carry fuel.

Back