• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A pair of LVTP5A1s in Vietnam

grunt26

Hi all!
Here's a pair of recently finished LVTP5A1s. The one with sandbags was built YEARS ago, and recently 're-modeled' to match the other, the one that has a Hobby Fan interior, scratchbuilt details and an Eduard PE set and MV lenses. Exteriors were opening the exterior hull "steps" and replacing them with styrene rod, and using Archer weld beads to replace missing welds. Both painted in USMC Green from model masters acrylic line, and finished with Archer dry transfers for markings.
Thanks for looking and any comments, good or bad!
updates003.jpg

updates004.jpg

updates007.jpg

updates008.jpg

updates009.jpg

updates011.jpg

updates012.jpg

updates015.jpg

updates014.jpg

updates013.jpg

Rod

Rod,
Looks great, all you need is a couple dozen Jar Heads coming out to play...
Both look great and the detail is super.
Shawn

shawngehling wrote:
Rod,
Shawn

Hi Shawn!
Thanks for the kind words! Yep, I do need a bunch of Jarheads coming out, and that's the diorama I have planned, still adding & building figures for it, as well as a Tet offensive dio with about 45 Marines as well. That's where the M48A3 I posted on here is going to go(eventually).
Thanks,
Rod

That is some mighty fine work, Rod- welcome to TNT! Your painting techniques are fantastic- cheers!

chuk

chukw wrote:
That is some mighty fine work, Rod- welcome to TNT! Your painting techniques are fantastic- cheers!

chuk

Thanks, Chuk! I appreciate the welcome, and plan to have a great time here!
Rod

moon puppy wrote:
Rod, welcome aboard, nice reference pictures now when do we start building??

HAHA! ref pictures...probably the best compliment I've ever gotten! Thanks, moon puppy!

grunt26 wrote:
shawngehling wrote:
Rod,
Shawn

Hi Shawn!
Thanks for the kind words! Yep, I do need a bunch of Jarheads coming out, and that's the diorama I have planned, still adding & building figures for it, as well as a Tet offensive dio with about 45 Marines as well. That's where the M48A3 I posted on here is going to go(eventually).
Thanks,
Rod

Kool
Shawn

Hi Rod

Great models very good paint job and the detail is really good must say i loved the dirty stian effects on the out side and the balanced weathering great job.
Cheers Chris :)

Sherman 18 wrote:
Both look great!

How did you like the Archer welds?

Thanks, Sherman!
I love the Archer welds! Best thing ever! I used to replicate them using .010 plastic rod, liquid cement, and a no. 11 blade, and it took a good ling while. Now, the Archer's changed all that, just apply like a normal decal, use a setting solution (I use Solv-a-set), and when dry, instant perfect welds! Plus they have all different styles and sizes.
Thanks again,
Rod

chris808 wrote:
Hi Rod

Great models very good paint job and the detail is really good must say i loved the dirty stian effects on the out side and the balanced weathering great job.
Cheers Chris :)

Thanks, Chris! With a vehicle this big, its like a canvas to an artist! I had some great pictures to go off of, and really tried to get that "look" about them. As stated, they will both end up in a diorama sometime this year!
Thanks again,
Cheers,
Rod

Back