• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A pair of hawks...

Old Dog

hawks.jpg

No, not that kind, this kind

p40-b01.jpg

I finished the P-36 a couple of weeks ago and the P-40E today. The P-36 was started over a year and a half ago to the Pearl Harbor build on U.S. Aircraft dot com and managed to miss two deadline. It was a typical Special Hobby kit and I had a real hard time maintaining interest in it. It represents 19 year old 2nd Lt. Harry W. Brown's aircraft of the 15th Pursuit Group’s 47th Pursuit Squadron. He managed to shoot down two Kates on December 7 in spite of having only one functional 30 caliber machine gun. He went on to achieve another 5 kills before the end of the war flying P-38s and P-40s. He was the only American ace to claim a victory while flying a P-36.

Since I didn't do these as a blog I took only a limited number of in progress photos and most of those pointing out either issues or things that needed changed to do Harry's aircraft. I did dress the engine up a bit with push rod tubes and wiring.

p36-b04.jpg

p36-b05.jpg

p36-b06.jpg

I didn't go nuts on the interior as I could only find a limited amount of information, I did it in natural metal but it may well have been interior green.

p36-b07.jpg

p36-b08.jpg

p36-b09.jpg

p36-b10.jpg

p36-b11.jpg

I kept it pretty clean as I suspect prior to the 7th a lot of time was spent doing just that. I did dust it up with pastels as it was stationed at one of the remote strips.

I started the P-40E back in October and it is pretty much OOB, I did use an Eduard PE set for the IP and a few other cockpit details. I took no in progress photos on this one and it's finished in the markings of Major Eduard Rector, 76th FS, 23rd FG, China, July 1942.

p40-b02.jpg

p40-b03.jpg

p40-b04.jpg

p40-b05.jpg

p40-b06.jpg

p40-b07.jpg

p40-b08.jpg

p40-b09.jpg

I suppose everyone would have liked some in progress photos but for me it was a nice break not stopping every time I got to a significant point and taking photos. Thanks for looking !

Very nice job ..... :dude ..... I was gonna build one of those Mohawks myself .... I stated an accadamy kit the forum got turned off ..... so she's on the shelf ..... I was going to do a great job on Her ..... I may have to pick your brain .... if I start it again ..... Both of yours look great ..... :eek:ldguy

Thanks for sharing these Gary, really good lookin' Hawks. Curtis was all into some Hawks weren't they? Guess that's like Grumman and their Cats.

Thats some good stuff! It's cool to see a lineage like that in aircraft and how the design on one affected the other. Have you thought about maybe doing a Wildcat and Hellcat to go along with these two killer builds?

Back