• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A modeler’s quandary...

You got it Barney! I agree. Some that don't know will always scream the loudest.

It boils down to this statement; "Those that think they know it all are especially annoying to those of us that do."

I don't know a lot, but there are a lot of things that I have thought through over the years and once tried usually worked well. One thing I am usually open to is constructive critiques. You never know when a new thought or suggestion can make a big difference.

:) Well I agree with what everyone has said above, so this is a bit of a boring entry.
My take is obviously dioramas, as to me they are 3D paintings.
I also appreciate single model displays on a plane base and do plan to do a few in the future.
The difference for me is all about how i want to display the subject to be enjoyed by me or others (me first). Usually I like to keep it simple as a scene so it works as a display and a 'short story', the approach from the start is weighted by the balance of the composition to make the most of the visual harmony with the color and detail.
If I want to go bigger and consider going 'full Letterman' :lol:, it would be for visual impact around a story with the details leading you around the scene. The overall balance would be the visual hook that would draw the viewer closer because it has that thing that you can't quite put your finger on but you know its there throughout.

Lastly, I would create a model to put on a plain base(no ground work etc,) when I want to appreciate the model purely as a part of a set or a rare collectible, so that all distractions are removed. It would still be visually attractive through weathering etc but would match with others that were displayed the same. I would probaly only do this for certain types of ship models, spaceships, flying plane displays or single figures. I would never do this for a 1/35 scale land vehicle but would for a 1/16 tank display.

My final word is on those who rivet count or as mentioned by others, dwell on what they percieve to be inaccurate paint or details. I research for the interest and fun of it and it is by no means a religion for me. I have found that most over-the-top rivet counters are not painters (in most cases but not all) and rivet count for exactly that reason....they lack imagination, creativity and most of all the ability to improvise and interperet real or percieved effects and so turn back to all they know - the engineering side of models.
These types often suffer from being extremely boring while mixed with 2 1/2 cups of arrogance. :fencing

Ian.

Personally a bit off both,

I can't place my current U Boat project in an arctic harbor setting because it never was there ,
As there are no pictures of the quay in Romania. i have to wing it..... and make it look good,believable and interesting (to me ) i even going to place a small FLAK emplacement on it !

Have to admit i like the look off a brighter/vibrant colored model than how an original looked ,
I like the look of a slightly blueish Pz grey more than the real PZ grey
same with OD green i like it a bit lighter Et cetera.

Most of all you must have fun with your hobby :geek its all good !!

Piet, all is good! As for the lighter Olive Drab being lighter, that is good as well. Moon Puppy has a color photo of American servicemen in Korea showing off the differences in the color of their uniforms. Thing is the paint does the same thing after being in the sun quite a while.

Plus we know that all batches of paint are not created quite the same so a bluish Panzer Grey is a distinct probability.

:) Well I agree with what everyone has said above, so this is a bit of a boring entry.
My take is obviously dioramas, as to me they are 3D paintings.
I also appreciate single model displays on a plane base and do plan to do a few in the future.
The difference for me is all about how i want to display the subject to be enjoyed by me or others (me first). Usually I like to keep it simple as a scene so it works as a display and a 'short story', the approach from the start is weighted by the balance of the composition to make the most of the visual harmony with the color and detail.
If I want to go bigger and consider going 'full Letterman' :lol:, it would be for visual impact around a story with the details leading you around the scene. The overall balance would be the visual hook that would draw the viewer closer because it has that thing that you can't quite put your finger on but you know its there throughout.

Lastly, I would create a model to put on a plain base(no ground work etc,) when I want to appreciate the model purely as a part of a set or a rare collectible, so that all distractions are removed. It would still be visually attractive through weathering etc but would match with others that were displayed the same. I would probaly only do this for certain types of ship models, spaceships, flying plane displays or single figures. I would never do this for a 1/35 scale land vehicle but would for a 1/16 tank display.

My final word is on those who rivet count or as mentioned by others, dwell on what they percieve to be inaccurate paint or details. I research for the interest and fun of it and it is by no means a religion for me. I have found that most over-the-top rivet counters are not painters (in most cases but not all) and rivet count for exactly that reason....they lack imagination, creativity and most of all the ability to improvise and interperet real or percieved effects and so turn back to all they know - the engineering side of models.
These types often suffer from being extremely boring while mixed with 2 1/2 cups of arrogance. :fencing

Ian.

Ian my friend,

I think that, although we live 9.600 miles, (15,500 Kilometers), apart. We seem to have had the same or very similar experiences with rivet counters during our years in the hobby. I love modeling and have all my life as I know you do. I do my best to attain as much realism as I possibly can, and admittedly, I enjoyed competing, a lot! However, I gave it up 35 years ago and I've never regretted it. I simply cannot become obsessed with how many rivets are on a panel while at the same time, realizing the reciprocating type internal combustion engine in the model doesn't even have pistons or a crankshaft. No, nobody can ever see them, but, I have known people who felt compelled to include them because, well, because they would know they were there. If anybody knows what I mean by that, you certainly do. If counting rivets floats somebody's boat, then, by all means, go for it!. I would hope that they would try to understand that not everybody else feels the same as they do about them! Live and let live! There's room for all of us! It's a big, world wide hobby! Some of us, like me and you, see the hobby as an art form, others, obviously, have different views.

Bob

For me it depends on the subject and what I want the model to be/do.

Sometimes I like to put a model on a base with a bit of scenery and a standing figure to give a sense of size to the model.

I prefer to build small bases with scenery for my figures. However due to the number of figures I have that's not always possible. My bachelor apartment is only about 15' by 16' and that means space is very limited.

Sometimes I just want a model of the vehicle and thus it doesn't need a base or figure although I do like putting a figure in a hatch on a tank model just for size.

With my ship models I usually build t hem with the intent that they'll be deisplay by themselves along with other ships on the shelf. I might try building a couple of waterline ship model in the future and putting them on a base with a simulated sea.

My aircraft models are stand alone models.

Cheers

With regards to the poll at the top of this topic. I think it be good to have a third choic Both as for some people that's what they aim for with a model.

Cheers

I have only made the one diorama. The Egg-Kagi Samurai Bathtub. I completely enjoyed building it. No historical accuracy was ever attempted or intended. My dilemma was where to stop adding silly details to it. When is it finished? How does it fair with Judges against "Real Models"? Did I care about that?

A trail of Japanese aircraft bobbing in Her wake with others sliding down the pitching deck?
Tiny IJN crewmen hanging from the flight deck, pulling one another back on to the ship? An Officer in Blue, barfing from the bridge? MAKE THE BAD MAN STOP!!

I called it finished after adding the Samurai bath Duckie. I get a kick out of watching other modelers point and chuckle.

I love a good story. Every model has a story behind it. Dioramas show action and tell a story. I'm evidently more on the visual side. By no means the expert that many of you Men are. 2 cents.

I've always been a live and let live kind of guy!

Whatever you want to build, or, if you don't want to build, but simply collect. However you want to build it, and whatever you want to do with it after you build it is your choice and nobody should never criticize anyone for that choice.

My only problem is with people, like too many rivet counters, that criticize those that don't or won't count rivets, for not doing so.

Just relax, do whatever floats your boat, and let others do the same thing! I may not like to do it that way myself, but I enjoy looking at all types and styles of building, even those built by rivet counters, I go to a lot of IPMS events!

For Pete's sake, it's what we do for enjoyment!

Back