• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

a flying floaty thingy. Trumpeter 1/24 A6M2 N Rufe

Paulw

The modeling club I attend has a group build that has to do with anything that deals with water a.k.a. "wet willy". This was my subject since I have always been wanting to build a Rufe but the only ones were 48, 72 and this one. I jumped at the chance to get it going so here it is. Starting with the engine and like any other Trumpeter kit with a radial I always have some sort of issue of which I wont go into details and this is about as far as I got these past three days.

the closest I can get to aotakae is blue angel blue lightly sprayed over chrome.

front cylinder row

and the aft cylinder row

I doubt the engine or oile tanks will be visible but for now I just hope every thing just fits.

Thanks, all. In order to keep going and not really crank up the build I decided to continue on to the cockpit so that I can assemble the engine sub assembly in reverse to catch any issues and take care of them as they show up.

This is a pretty nice build of a cockpit so far. All the parts for the exception of the seat supports went in with out a hitch. I am using just one bit of AM on this and that is the Yahoo 1/24 scale zero pe ip. This is a pretty neat bit of detail as it has the instruments covered with clear film and sandwiched between its backing and the front fascia. I think it is better than Eduard's stuff so far.
This kit doesn't come with pe belts so I will have to try my hand at scratching some 24 scale zero belts for my self but that shouldn't be much of a problem.

The side walls with their levers and bits came out rather well and are mocking me to go and rush this to get it together but I will have to refrain if I want this to come out decent.

The office deck is nicely detailed

The side walls need just a bit more attention before weathering.

The ip does benefit with the application of the yahoo ip parts

This is one I can sit on for a while because it needs to be done by April so no sweat there. All that detail and hardly a sight will be seen of most of it when the fuse comes together.

I figured I am through fighting the engine assembly so I got it together and so what if it ain't right, Ill hide the flaws with the prop when I get that far. I laid down some Humbrol dark green and though it really isn't dark enough it will have to do as it is the only dark green shade I have. It kind of bubbled up on the wings so I am going to give it some time to cure then Ill sand the anomalies out and shoot them again. I have some bare spots that require some touch ups then I can get to the bottom gray color and continue on.

Git'er Done...:popcorn

Hush puppy, He's wanting to do it the slow way.

Paul this build is looking real good so far. I wouldn't worry about the green not being dark enough. It seems the Jap paints during WW2 didn't hold up all that well and tended to fade and flake off. Your photos of the green look pretty good so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The modeling club I attend has a group build that has to do with anything that deals with water a.k.a. "wet willy". This was my subject since I have always been wanting to build a Rufe but the only ones were 48, 72 and this one. I jumped at the chance to get it going so here it is. Starting with the engine and like any other Trumpeter kit with a radial I always have some sort of issue of which I wont go into details and this is about as far as I got these past three days.

the closest I can get to aotakae is blue angel blue lightly sprayed over chrome.

front cylinder row

and the aft cylinder row

I doubt the engine or oile tanks will be visible but for now I just hope every thing just fits.

Hey Paul . What paint is that that you sprayed on the air intake ( two pictures up ) . I like it a lot .

Cheers, Christian B)

front cylinder row

and the aft cylinder row

Hey Paul . What paint is that that you sprayed on the air intake ( two pictures up ) . I like it a lot .

Cheers, Christian B)

If you are referring to the blue that is blue angel blue and chrome, Chris. It is the closest I cfould get to Aotakae.

front cylinder row

and the aft cylinder row

Cheers, Christian B)

If you are referring to the blue that is blue angel blue and chrome, Chris. It is the closest I cfould get to Aotakae.

No, I was asking about the bronze/copper color.

Cheers, Christian B)

front cylinder row

and the aft cylinder row

Cheers, Christian B)

No, I was asking about the bronze/copper color.

Vallejo Sandy Brown that is over sprayed with Vallejo smoke and flat coated
Cheers, Christian B)

Paul this looks incredible! Way to go! As for the green, it looks spot on to me; but them I'm not the most accurate builder in the shed. Someone with more intelligence and attention to detail will certainly set me straighter.

Keep going man, this is looking great!

Back