• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

69 Dodge Super Bee (Hot Rods 2012)

ij001

Quick phone photo of my choices for this campaign. Will be one of these three, I've got two boxings of the '69 Super Bee which I'd forgotten about until I started digging around. If I do the Dodge I'll be using a set of resin (Mopar pattern) plain wheel hubs. The Poncho will be straight from the box perhaps with just the ignition cables. The Mercury will be the same deal, but I'll swap-out the wheels, the ones in the kit aren't too good.

All I have to do now is make a decision. :unsure:

Ian

Choosing a Subject (Hot Rods 2012)

Cyclone! Not seen one of these done.

Terry B)

The Merc has those three little letters, AMT (Always More Trouble) :laugh:

I'd opt for either of the R-M kits, leaning toward the Firebird.

The Merc has those three little letters, AMT (Always More Trouble) :laugh: I'd opt for either of the R-M kits, leaning toward the Firebird.

I know what you mean, Mike. But I built the AMT Mercury when it first came out in the early 1990's and it was a very good kit, like their excellent '66 Nova and '68 Roadrunner/GTX kits - not at all like their earlier 1970's era stuff that is still getting re-issued for the 'ump-teenth' time even today !!

Ian

I still have recurring nightmares of a certain '66 Fairlane 427 kit that took three kits to make into one good one. :pinch:

I know it isn't necessary as this is a 'Second Chance' campaign build. But here's my 'date-stamp' photo:

Yep, the Dodge won the competition that was going on in my head. Hopefully it will look something like this:

Satin black lift-off hood, plain black wheels, no chrome 'dress-up' on the false intakes on the rear quarter and straight (not metallic) paint. In fact the only item from the 'option package' that I plan to add is the well known bumble bee stripe over the rear:

Will be starting sometime over the weekend, hopefully. Thanks for taking the time to look, as ever I'm happy to answer all questions, comments and criticism.

AFN

Ian

That thing got a hemi? (y)

No Mike, it's the big block 440 with triple carb setup (hence 'Six Pack'), The Coronet could be ordered with anything from a straight six up to and including the 426 Hemi, but the Super Bee was Dodges' answer to the Roadrunner, available with the 383 Commando, the Hemi and the 440. The 'Six Pack' was an (even more) special (= rare) stripped to the bone version.

Incidentally I've also got the Revell kit of the 'super rare' 69 Dart Swinger with either the 426 or 440 - which apparently were almost undriveable on the streets and built pretty-much to go straight to the strip directly from the showroom. I'll be building/entering this if/when we hold a Race Cars Campaign.

Ian

Isn't it odd how things turn out ??

I mentioned that when I came to dig-through my stash to find the original 'Super Bee' that I knew I had, I also found a second (later) issue that I'd completely forgotten about.

When comparing the two, it was obvious that the original was a much 'sharper' molding, and even though the metallic blue plastic was a royal PitA to cover it was so much better than the later white plastic kit. So being a veteran of MANY Monogram car kits, I slapped the engine together without much thought, undercoated and sprayed it appropriately then (yesterday) tried to attach the pulley & belt assembly....

(insert favourite gameshow 'got it wrong' sound here !!)

The front part of the block that accepts the pulley & belt was a mis-shapen lump of nothing very familiar. Lucky I had the spare white one, yes ??

Another piece of incredible luck (or stupidity, you choose). As I searched through the 'blue' kit I couldn't find the rear insert, nor the front piece that divides the grille from the bumper.... could be in the old house down the road, could be back in England, wherever it is, even Boris the Carpet Monster couldn't help. Once again, 'white' kit to the rescue !!

These pics were taken before I realised that those parts had gone astray:

Just a couple of passes with 'Halfords' grey acrylic primer straight from the rattle can - my last of this superb product, can't seem to find a similar automotive paint product here in NZ. The hood is Tamiya glossy black acrylic, again straight from the rattle can.

As ever thanks for taking the time to look. All comments/crits/q's welcome.

AFN

Ian

Looking good Ian!

I built that kit many years ago, in my car [strike]building[/strike] collecting days...

Just remember the hood should be a satin, almost matt black.

Tom

Back