• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1st AFV: ZSU-23-4M 'Shilka'

Turkeyshot

Hi all,

Thanks for the warm welcome that so many of you have graciously given me recently upon joining the boards.

This post shows my first ever AFV build and my first attempt at modelling in about 20 years (not that I ever did too much when I was younger), so advice is welcomed, but please keep in mind that I am a Noob and have no real idea what I am doing.

The kit is an old ZSU-23-4M 'Shilka' by Dragon (Kit #3518) given to me as a gift about 20 years ago. I found it in storage last year after living abroad for several years and thought I would finally take a crack at building it. The years have not been kind to the plastic: the main hull was badly warped and the decals had all deteriorated. Undeterred and inspired by the great work that I was looking at here on the boards, I went out and bought some glue and paint.

At first I wasn't sure which army to portray this as, but eventually settled on Syrian partly for the ease of the paint scheme and partly because I really liked the look of the MIG Arab Tanker Vol.1 that I built along with it. In a fit of inspiration I decided to depict the ZSU-23 with a thrown track to add a little interest and also tried my hand at making a simple base to display it on.

Once assembly was completed (with what I am sure was far too much glue), I sprayed the ZSU-23 with a can of Tamiya Tan (AS-15). As this was my first model I had not made the investment in an airbrush (although am now seriously considering it). I then gave the entire model a wash of thinned Burnt Umber oil paint, although I fear, as with the glue, I may have been a little heavy handed with this.

As the decals were of no use (long since deteriorated), I tried painting the markings by hand, with less than great results. I also added a number of small details such as a few pieces of stowage which I had also found in storage. I finally added some additional weathering with some Tamiya Weathering Master pigments to try and show accumulated sand and dust.

The base was a cheap $4 8x10 photo frame which I had built up with Styrofoam and papier mache, dusted with sand and eventually sprayed. The 'rocks' were small pieces of bark from the garden.

All in all I am quite happy with it as a first attempt, although am not so blind as to recognise that I still have a LOT of room for improvement. I'll welcome any advice or constructive criticism that You can give me. Thanks in advance for your feedback and thanks also to those of you on the boards from whom I learned some of the techniques that I have rather poorly attempted to replicate on this build.

ZSU-23-4M-1.jpg

ZSU-23-4M-2.jpg

ZSU-23-4M-3.jpg

ZSU-23-4M-4.jpg

ZSU-23-4M-5.jpg

ZSU-23-4M-6.jpg

I read your description first before scrolling down to look at the pics. It made me think that I would be seeing a very roughly made model that a child may have done, based on what you said. I was extremely surprised to see such a top-quality model that would outshine most anything I would have done. You have some great skills, and it shows in the excellence of your work. You fit right in here; way to go!

I read your description first before scrolling down to look at the pics. It made me think that I would be seeing a very roughly made model that a child may have done, based on what you said. I was extremely surprised to see such a top-quality model that would outshine most anything I would have done. You have some great skills, and it shows in the excellence of your work. You fit right in here; way to go!

I've to agree with Duke.
The model looks great! (y)

Back