• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Airfix P-40, 403 Sqn., RCAF

Mcleod

I model with the philosophy that you only live once, and not for long enough; so whats one more campaign to get me closer to building all the models I want to build. After I build that last one, then I can fade away.

Here's the kit:

h4a6a743.JPG

ha534517.JPG

A nice 1/72 kit with a nice decal choice, but, I hope for one dressed in RCAF colors. In fact, I'd like to do AH882 of 403sqn., RCAF, shown leading the flight here:

hdf87cc4.jpg

For that, I purchased the Xtradecal sheet which has marings for this aircraft:

he0bb499.JPG

Here's the time stamp:

h1ae43f2.JPG

You'll note that parts are cut off the sprue; I couldn't wait to test how it all fit when I bought the kit. No paint or glue, though, so I've been cleared for takeoff.
Here's how the parts looked this morning:

h34a0bb4_2015-01-12.JPG

Now its time to get off this puter and get busy. ;)

I was able to get the interior base colors on my P-40, along with my 109. I enjoy these simple kits, they help me find peace in difficult times.

hb64829a.JPG

I'm building this kit in company with the Me.109 for Messerschmitts. I start putting her together tomorrow and clean up the paint some. See you soon. :v

An early P-40 cool . Looks like a better kit than the Academi .

Good to find enjoyment in your build ! :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks for the atta-boy's :blush: . It ain't over until the fat lady sings, though.
Here's a small update as to where the model sits today:

h5ca3126.JPG

There are no molded in harness for the seat, and no harness decal. So I just fashioned a quick setup using mask tape.

ha949f07.JPG

I also just used the IP decal supplied. There is no instrument detail molded in the kit either. This is absolutely OOB, and being built for pure enjoyment, without adding the scratching headache.

h4796724.JPG

I gave her a diluted wash with Humbrol gun metal, which is to grey to be used as gun metal. It's an experiment; I'm hoping that light catching the silver specks through the closed canopy will help in highlighting.
Till next time. :Hiay

I still have to clean up all the seams, not everything fit perfect. It is starting to look like a P-40, though.
h304fce9.JPG

These Airfix new-tools are light years better than the old Airfix. Still, they do not equal the Tamigawa standards. They are fun to build.

I'll mud it, sand it, rescribe where necessary, and bring it up to paint shop standard over the coming days. Next post should be a primed model.
Later, :Hiay

Back