• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/520 USS Macon

Gator

I believe this would qualify as a Naval aircraft that carried naval aircraft.

615AD798-E8EF-4AB5-8668-986F5E0D41C1_zpst1wzhke7.jpg

EC9BE87F-3443-40FE-AD94-AEFF55FB3226_zpslo33d5wc.jpg

56422542-793C-47BE-B87C-4966B6319A69_zpsoplg19iu.jpg

Says Navy right there on the side. Yeah I think that's Navy.

Love this era of flight. Really outside the box thinking. If they had overcome the bad weather flying think of the possibilities. Wings of Macon class ships flying over the enemy deploying fighters, bombers and even bombing.

There's an old newspaper article in our local paper about the Macon doing an overflight of Greenwood in the early 30s and how everyone came out to see it all lit up. Yellow wing airpower. :pilot

:popcorn

Bob, I have the 1/32 Sparrowhawk kit as well.

Here are some in progress photos on the build.

Hull is together.

2B7A75C7-1162-4A2E-9381-E451B8CB4127_zpst4cidd1c.jpg

Hangar door glued in place.

188E4F4F-07AF-489B-973E-CA2515E0F4E8_zpsqniidi3i.jpg

Hood vents in place and puttied

CAC11071-2D1E-4B18-8505-3E680B9FC635_zpsm0orxpqx.jpg

Hangar door puttied.

CAC11071-2D1E-4B18-8505-3E680B9FC635_zpsm0orxpqx.jpg

I'm using the waterbased Perfect Plastic Putty. Once it sets up, I will take a wet cotton swab and clean the excess off.

Easy cleanup, good thing.

Yeah I got the Williams Bro Sparrowhawk also, I'm still recovering from the Bulldog to tackle that one, but I will one day.

:popcorn

Thank you guys. Progress for the day.

Struts on. Needing to be cleaned up.

573936FD-2C39-4195-B888-007DA9D5FFD2_zpsvojvwhyk.jpg

5A53067D-EDCB-4990-9C2E-F9FF9814C235_zpsuljf0mgn.jpg

I made an extra platform for the base to put the name decals on, this way you can read them.

84C56F74-6E61-4E6D-ACB7-6B8330737C37_zpszyx7ry8x.jpg

That is very cool Kenny!

I remember a National Geographic spread about the history and the wreckage they found off the west coast. I can't recall though if it was the Macon or the Akron?

I think the little trapeze planes were the bomb though!

Macon is off Big Sur CA, the Akron went down off the New Jersey coast if I'm not mistaken.

When I went through basic in Dago we had fire fighting in the old dirigible hangar there at the old seaplane base. Neat place.

Its looking nice, Kenny

Paul is that the hanger that was so big it has it's own weather system?

I dont know about that weather system but it sure had plenty of fire. My last ship was from Earl NJ and allowed me to go to Lakehurst. That is where I saw some really big hangars and the Hindemburg site.

Very nice Kenny! (y) Looks like a fun kit.

The Macon went down near Big Sur. Seen a program on her not too long ago &something was said about one of her planes was still intact! As for the hangars, I've been inside the 1 at Moffet Field years ago. talk about HUGE!!!

Thank you guys. After looking at the braces for the stabilizers for a while and then finding some photos, I think I will try to scratch build a thinner brace. I won't remove these until I have a suitable replacement though.

Bob, you are correct about the hanger at Moffett Field having it's own weather system.
"The airship hangar's interior is so large that fog sometimes forms near the ceiling. A person unaccustomed to its vastness is susceptible to optical disorientation. Looking across its deck, planes and tractors look like toys. Along its length maintenance shops, inspection laboratories and offices help keep the hangar busy. Looking up, a network of catwalks for access to all parts of the structure can be seen. Two elevators meet near the top, allowing maintenance personnel to get to the top quickly and easily."

(y) That Lady put the "Ship" in Airship!! The USS Patoka, US Navy Airship tender, just came out, but She's in 1/700 scale. Diorama DENIED!! This is still a neat old Kit!! Good choice, Kenny! :notworthy :ro:

Yesterday I pulled out the Macon and started working on the seams and the braces for the flaps. I got a pretty good game for replacing the braces, I just need to stay on task and don't rush.

USS%20Macon_zpsvitecgc4.jpg

Yesterday I pulled out the Macon and started working on the seams and the braces for the flaps. I got a pretty good game for replacing the braces, I just need to stay on task and don't rush.

USS%20Macon_zpsvitecgc4.jpg

Rushing is never your friend :good: Cheers, Christian B)

Back