• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/50 scale scrap shuttle

Nice scratching Chip!
Keep up the nice work, i must get time for my walker soon :hmmm :zen :zen :zen
//Mats

Thanks Matts!

This thing.. I originally planned to make the nacelle exhausts out of thin grooved sheet and wrap them around the ends of the nacelles, well they worked fine in a dry run, but split into little pieces once glue was applied. Well thankfully i used brass tube! here's the plumber's solution...

shuttle_nachel_hell_28129.JPG

shuttle_nachel_hell_28229.JPG

The grove from the tubing cutters will give me a guide for when i etch the detail, I'll cut then at this point when they are ready...

shuttle_nachel_hell.JPG

I am SOOO glad i dint plan to do the interior on this build! lol :fencing

And here they are, I'm sorry that you cant see the grooving- take my word, its there. This old camera...

nachelle_hell_done.JPG

The problem is finding the right size little balls for the ends! hitting another jewelry /craft store today! lol they think i'm crazy.

And here they are, I'm sorry that you cant see the grooving- take my word, its there. This old camera...

nachelle_hell_done.JPG

The problem is finding the right size little balls for the ends! hitting another jewelry /craft store today! lol they think i'm crazy.

Very very cool. As for the balls, have you looked at marbles, or even gum balls? I would think they are the same size or close to.
James

James I have- the brass tube is 5/16 OD. This scales with the drawings in the tech manual,the adaptors for the ends above are even smaller. 5/16 to OUR size is the same size as the nut on a radiator clamp or most band clamps.
i'm looking at those jewelry craft stores women use to build trinkets. No luck so far! I went through all my tools( plumbing ect.) hoping to find something as I save near everything i take apart. No luck.

I never would have thought of doing this grind to build the parts if not for all you guys on these forums! Thanks for putting up with my constant bugging for answers- I'm insanely curious- and see I DO pay attention! :bang head

Try Micheal's. Maybe in the beading section.Should find something there.Still think a gumball or jaw breaker. Let it sit in water until its the right size and then future it.Just thoughts.
James

nachelle_hell_done.JPG

Looking good Chip, but we have to do something about your photography. You're background is in focus but not your subject, gotta work on your aim. :mpup

The end caps are going to look great!

Actually this looks better than the original, I brought down the contrast because the brass came out glowing. If only this camera would let me adjust my flash, but its an old 2.1.

Well here it almost is! I'm posting these for the sake of posterity before i start wet sanding this to finish smoothing it out, maybe has 4 small areas of concern before it gets the base coat for the silver.

Mind you all the details are dryfit now for the pictures...

shuttle_scrap_dry_fit.JPG

shuttle_scrap_dry_fit_28129.JPG

Impulse engine WILL NOT SIT STRAIGHT in the dry fit! lol Well some glue fix that later! B)

shuttle_scrap_dry_fit_28329.JPG

Shouldnt be letting this out YET, but it gets a crew... of course the shuttle is about 1/50 and these guys came from the bridge kit at about 1/24th, but really who's counting? Its all make belive...

shuttle_scrap_dry_fit_28229.JPG

:fencing

Thanks- unlike some I can only work on one thing at a time and lately business has been s l o w....

I dont think it been that quick with all the crap i had to adjust and redo- you know well how that song goes! :java

OK here we are, I'm calling the paint job DONE warts and all, here it is! Alclad II is a very unforgiving paint to say the least- My last prime coat looked near perfect Sunday when I started squirting the Dark Aluminum, man that expensive paint took me to school. It magnified every blemish , scratch and whatever. I tried filling some items but had to drag myself away for fear of damaging the build itself.

shuttle_painted%7E0.JPG

As you can see, the front took some damage from masking, maybe this will even out during the cure?

shuttle_painted_28329.JPG

It does have a good side, the right side! It came out near perfect, though this is not the side that will be shown... :(

shuttle_painted_28129.JPG

Left side is very presentable, but has some issues with the thickening of the wing ect..

shuttle_painted_28229.JPG

And finally the rear, here my amateurism becomes apparent, look at the left and then the right- the lower curves are uneven, nitpicking? YES! The body was assembled top first then the bottom in thin sheets (around .20 thick) that were clamped together. This was problematic as I intentionally made the sides unequal and then fixed this using the top and bottom as a guide. It worked, though not as great as i hoped.

For my first ground up scratch build I am pleased, my next one will be better I hope. she'll rest a day or so an then I'll start applying the art.

After doing this, I think scratch building is the way to go. Not a bad ending to a year of returning to models after a decade break! Enjoy CR :drinks

Looks pretty slick!! Any silver paint will show every screw you have done. I use silver paint to show the things I need to fix on planes in particular.

B)

Back