• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/50 scale scrap shuttle

kryptosdaddy

Since i started this today I need to give it a date...

DSCF0002%7E0.JPG

let's see if I have learned anything, the patterns came from the "Starfleet Technical manual' I copied the two pages on the shuttle, made some templates and started cutting paper.

shuttle_scrap.JPG

IT WILL NOT BE A PAPER MODEL, the frame will be built inside the paper form and everything will be built then sat on a 'plate' similar to my Saucer base. The frame pieces will have a top and bottom and evergreen will generously supply the hull pieces. There will be NO interior.

shuttle_scrap_28129.JPG

See ya in August...

A little bit more, here is the center base not finished and the nacelle's and their rough pylons - the nacelle's are 5/16 brass, they will be held on with wire. Reason i picked brass is no light bleed if I decide to install lights.

The base is .80 Evergreen and the hull be .30, this should make it reasonably sturdy.

shuttle_scap_base_28129.JPG

Here its all glued together with wood glue in case i mess up!

shuttle_scap_base_28229.JPG

Figured the nacelle connections...

shuttle_scrap_frame.JPG

And a test fit before I start installing panels, yes the 'tongue' is long on purpose so I can handle the thing.

shuttle_scrap_frame_2.JPG

I'm doing this without a jig, just the earlier paper form to help with some scale. My first time using sprue like this. :mpup

A good day, house is a mess- but this is coming along...

shuttle_scrap_panels_1_28229.JPG

shuttle_scrap_panels_1.JPG

Yes the R means right- but they worked better transposed, that means something is wrong! lolBut it looks nice.

shuttle_scrap_panels_1_28129.JPG

Thanks Bob, here's my 'detail' set- this is all of it except for the detailing of the rear deck and the landing pads under the nacelles and of course the nacelle ends, that will come after the back is built since my scaling of the hulls angles is a LITTLE bit off! lol

shuttle_patterns_001.jpg

clockwise left to right, windows, nacelle exhaust, front panel, front grills, side access panels, nacelle pylon braces and the door. The window panel is over sized on its top and bottom for adjustment the angles are right (almost). I think I'm getting better at this... :fencing

Made patterns for everything out of paper- I'm saving alll of that in an envelope in case I want to try this again. Including that ^^^ parts list. Alot of little things here, refreshing. haha. NOT

Little more, overcame a huge error on the front- I had to sandwich thin sheets of evergreen to correct a 1/8 inch difference in the front hull angles. Worked out OK because it thickened the rear. that helped when i did this...

shuttle_rear_and_angle_fixed_28129.JPG

piece on the right is the depth pattern for the shuttles rear end. Remember this is based on the drawings from the technical manual.

shuttle_rear_and_angle_fixed_28229.JPG

here is the end partially roughed and an obvious wrinkle up front! Oh well, something else to fix.

Thanks guys- a slow work week keeps me at the bench, no devil's work for my hands this week!

How to scrap a starfleet impulse engine if you have never done it before..

part one - make a form out of stacked .80 sheet and destroy it (bottom right), then use it for a jig and make a second one that you dont trust and think "wait, I'll make a ladder" (middle)

shuttle_scrap_engine_28429.JPG

then tie the ends together and glue everything...oh and add more styrene strips to bulk the frame up a bit...

shuttle_scrap_engine_28329.JPG

Sand, file re glue and repeat and pray it stays together...

shuttle_scrap_engine_28529.JPG

Paint and temporarily stick it on to show your friends...

shuttle_scrap_almost___.JPG

Still alot of work to do, but it's coming along... when i finish the bottom then I can concentrate on some more sanding and filling ect before the trim! :fencing

a little closer- she got her first prime last night, here it is before i start fixing issues..

shuttle_scrap_prime.JPG

Sorry about the clip, this thing is front heavy- when the nacelles become permanent, that will fix it self.

shuttle_scrap_prime_28229.JPG

The slot at the top front is for the windows, that will be sealed after the final coat and the windows are slid DOWN into their little slots. I'm thinking this will help add dimension to the front.

shuttle_scrap_prime_28329.JPG

I'm getting into this immensely, this is becoming a joy ride! :yipee

Back