• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 scale Bf 109's x 2

Bob,
What I do is add some weathering on a model and force myself to step away from it for a while and return to it later with fresh eyes, having other models to work on helps tamp down the temptation from doing too much weathering on a model in one session. Since I started doing it this way my models are looking better. Haste makes waste! :eek:ldguy

Matrixone

I don't recognize that fuel triangle on the right side . Can you show a good picture of it ?

looking good by the way (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Bob,
What I do is add some weathering on a model and force myself to step away from it for a while and return to it later with fresh eyes, having other models to work on helps tamp down the temptation from doing too much weathering on a model in one session. Since I started doing it this way my models are looking better. Haste makes waste! :eek:ldguy

Matrixone

That's a good practice to use, I've notice weathering looks very different when we allow it to settle in but my problem is I want instant results. Much to my demise sometimes... :bang head :bang head

That's a good tip indeed. I use it on my armor as well. That's part of why I have so many projects going at once.

Thanks! (y)

Christian,
The yellow triangle on the right side of the fuselage is not a fuel filler marking, its for the MW tank. There were several variations of this marking to be seen on K-4's with the later versions having a pale brown triangle outlined in white.
There were even a small number of K-4's without the MW system and had no triangle and instead had a simple stencil marking ''Sonder Stoff'' in black to remind the ground crew the tank could be used for extra fuel.

Matrixone

Thank Matrix . Good info.

I have seen the brown one but for some reason can't remember this one. Too much info for my brain I think.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thank you Mike!

Because of the crappy weather the past few weeks I have not had a chance to get pictures of the finished 1/48 scale Bf 109K-4 but that is expected to change in the next few days.

I had so much fun with the 1/48 scale K-4 I decided to increase the fun level and build a 1/32 scale K-4 next. Since I already had my Bf 109K-4 reference books out why not just build another one? Makes perfect sense to me! ;)

h09f4239.JPG

had82c87.JPG

This will be a speed build and these large scale Hasegawa kits are so easy to put together they make for a nice looking model even if thrown together in a short amount of time.

On a 109 not a whole lot of cockpit detail will be seen on the finished model but I still added some detail painting with the airbrush...to add some depth to the molded in detail of the cockpit parts I did some painting in black first before spraying on the RLM 66 black-gray, the RLM 66 was sprayed on the fuselage sides and I.P. by holding the airbrush at a low angle being careful to leave some of the black in the areas that would normally be in shadow.

h30189b5.JPG

h55cfb90.JPG

Here is a picture of the I.P. that shows the forced shadow effect I wanted to achieve, it looks a little like the part had some sun fading of the paint.

h5bea1bd.JPG

The rest of the cockpit was pre-shaded with black first before spraying the RLM 66 on it. It looks rough now but after some detail painting it will look much better.

h0f11847.JPG

Here are some of the other parts after some work was done on them.
The high gloss black spinner will need to be painted again...this was painted before I decided which markings I was going to put on this model and the one I chose has a 2/3 RLM 70 and 1/3 white painted spinner. :facepalm

hc0e1c9f.JPG

The landing gear legs are painted and much of the weathering has been done on them.

ha8cc33a.JPG

h63f7798.JPG

The wings and flaps are put together and just need sanding the seam lines down to get them ready for paint.
ha3cdea4.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks for looking!

Today I attempted to get airfield pictures of the three recently finished models and it was a no-go...I nearly lost the 1/48 Bf 109K-4 when wind gusts started to lift it off my photobase. That would piss me off to have a new model destroyed before I could even get pictures of it. :angry: Not only was it difficult to keep the models from flying off the photobase I had even worse problems with my backdrops, the backdrops are large and light enough that even a light breeze can knock them over and they were no match for the strong wind gusts today.
I will try again Friday but it is looking like it will be cloudy. :idonno

Matrixone

Thanks!

Today started out like last evening ended...dry but with strong wind gusts, but by mid day the wind died down and I went for it and quickly set up my photobase and started taking pictures of all FOUR finished models (the 110 was finished early today), no telling exactly how well these all the pictures may turn out but below is a teaser picture of the 1/48 scale Bf 109K-4.

hbc9525b.JPG

There are still over 200 thumbnails I have to look at yet but this first image is promising.

Matrixone

Back