• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/35 SS Infantrymen

No pictures to share, but I finally pulled my figures back out, after a couple of weeks of not touching them. I was strongly disliking how the figures were looking, and that was basically killing any desire to work on them.

Last week, Iron Mike found a really great video on YouTube, showing a SBS method for painting the Autumn Oakleaf pattern, that I think I can recreate. The very nice thing is that I found out that the Autumn & Spring patterns are almost exactly the same, except for the top most color, w/ Autumn being orange and the Spring being a bright green.

Tonight I mixed up a bit of the base color, and painted over the smocks on both figures. Took a couple of coats, but was able to cover up the colors from the previous attempt.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get motivated to pull both figures out, and get the next color painted. The very nice thing is the method on the YouTube video seem's to be a lot less complicated than I was making it out to be, so hopefully I can get some good passable results this time. Would love to get at least one of these figures done to claim my first ribbon.

Didnt happen to late in teh evening, but I was able to get the next color down on my figures tonight.

The video I'm using, suggested using Revell Anthracite for the dark color, but the closest that I had was Vallejo Gloss Black, so thats what I went w/.

Fairly happy w/ the results. Got a few things I might tweak when I go w/ teh next color, but over all I'm much happier w/ where I'm at now, versus where I was w/ the last colors.

DSC01462.jpg

DSC01463.jpg

Well, back to the drawing board on these guys.

I was putting down the 3rd color last night, and found out that the base color is too dark, so the 3rd camo color wasnt showing up correctly. So now I get to strip the paint and start over again.

So w/ a completion that was already in doubt in the time remaining, is almost definitely not going to be done in time now, but we'll see I suppose. I'll get them stripped tonight, and I guess I might get the first colors back on 'em tonight.

Keep at it Adam.

It might be a good idea to do a sample with all of your chosen colors. Colors have a way of changing hue
when they are placed next to each other, looking almost nothing like they did in the bottle.

Good Luck!
Tom

Yea, that was exactly the issue I had. The base color was a lighter brown, and the 2nd camo color was another shade of brown, but way too little difference between them to work.

So I'll go back and lighten the base color w/ white, and go at it again.

Hai Adam,

Stumbled upon this topic.
Im exactly in the same position as you are: experimenting with my first camo figures.
I know how hard it can be.
Believe it or not, I learn a lot from your attempts !!
And yes, I have the Calvin Tan book, but it is way too far for me. He shows the results, not what he is doing.
So if you made any progress, please share with us, exactly what I need: a crash course for beginners !

Keep the good work up,

Willem

Back