Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
"Wesendorf Field"

Park your aircraft at our Tom Wesendorf Memorial Aerodrome and Poolside Lounge. Share your aircraft builds here.

TOPIC: Roden 1/72 C-123B

Roden 1/72 C-123B 04 Dec 2019 01:53 #1

I've made a start on the Roden C-123. It's a very detailed kit, however, I don't think their mold making abilities are quite up to handling the kind of fine details designed into the parts That makes building more difficult. Also, the plastic doesn't seem to like Tamiya thin cement, or CA for that matter. I am using the Testors glue in the triangular bottle right now and it seems to be working, and will try the Touch and Flow Tenax like stuff also. The engines have a lot of detail, most of which will be hidden. I found on assembling the first one that the alignment of the cylinder banks is off, with the rear bank lined up directly behind the front bank, where the rear bank in the real world is offset so the rear cylinders are lined up with the air gap between the front cylinders. It really doesn't matter in this case but being an old engine guy I just couldn't stand it. I didn't fix the first one because I had already glued the front housing on and didn't want to mess it up trying to move it. The pictures show how I modified the second engine. I didn't like their method of attaching the props, I'll do my usual brass tube and music wire method to attach them. The nose gear will ultimately rest on a spider web of struts so a lot of time was spent figuring how that was to be done. The main gear has an odd way of attaching the wheels, they have you put the inner wheel half on the strut, then there is a plastic keeper washer that is glued on to hold the inner wheel half. Then you are to put the outer wheel half on. Clumsy to sand and paint! I assembled all of the main gear parts because I wasn't confident of how the parts fit without doing it all at once. A little misalignment on that narrow gear and the wings will surely not be level. The instructions are not clear enough for me on these assemblies.
Some of the cockpit parts were assembled and two ejector pin marks on the back wall of the cockpit were fixed using melted sprue.
I made masks for the wheels and windows this afternoon using a Silhouette Cameo vinyl cutter. There will be paint soon!













There was no positive locating method for the wheel well assembly so the floor was used to locate it and then lines were scribed on both sides of the well assembly.
Interior green was applied to the fuselage area enclosed by the wheel well. The well is not yet permanently installed.





The landing gear assemblies complete and painted. There are some actuator arms for the nose gear doors that the instructions call for at this point but they are going to be left off until the very last.




Still a flat coat to go but the cockpit is together and painted. The lower parts below the cockpit floor were painted interior green because there is a window in the fuselage in that area.
20 grams of weight are called for in the nose. A silicone mold is curing and tomorrow a weight will be cast in it. Clay was pressed into the nose cone to develop the shape.
  • jeaton01
  • jeaton01
  • ONLINE
  • Company Commander
    Company Commander
  • Posts: 446
John
My modeling website, lots of build photos.
http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.htm
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Roden 1/72 C-123B 04 Dec 2019 06:34 #2

I don't think I've ever built a Roden kit but I sure have seen a motor that built up like that, just can't remember what kit.

You'll whip this John, lookin' forward to it. :popcorn
I told you photobucket sucks...



"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Roden 1/72 C-123B 04 Dec 2019 08:33 #3

I ran into most of the same problems as you did plus some more. I replaced the two struts from the nose wheel to the rear bulkhead with wire as it looked like too much trouble to make them round. I ended up breaking the nose gear off during painting and had to drill out the main strut and reinforce with some brass wire. I found out that after adding nose weight the main gear wanted to splay outward, strut too long and not enough support. I ended up cutting a block of styrene to fit between the wheel and the inside wheel well and glued it in. Painted flat black it's hard to see and only the bottom 2/3 of the wheel is visible anyway. I also had problems mounting the engines. I documented it all pretty well here C123 build Overall I liked the final result but found it to be a frustrating build.
  • Old Dog
  • Old Dog
  • OFFLINE
  • Division Commander
    Division Commander
  • Posts: 1865








The administrator has disabled public write access.

Roden 1/72 C-123B 04 Dec 2019 14:13 #4

Yeah, those main gear wheels have me concerned, Gary. I think I will put a block in there now before I go any further. The nose wheels aren't very well attached to the nose strut either.
Thanks for the link to your build.
  • jeaton01
  • jeaton01
  • ONLINE
  • Company Commander
    Company Commander
  • Posts: 446
John
My modeling website, lots of build photos.
http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.htm
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Roden 1/72 C-123B 05 Dec 2019 17:21 #5

Great start on a really interesting subject.
  • rob hart
  • rob hart
  • OFFLINE
  • Company Commander
    Company Commander
  • Posts: 116
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds