Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Poll: What is more important?

Historical accuracy 3 18.8%
Visual interest 13 81.3%
Total number of voters: 16 ( Piet, Brokeneagle, SA Dave, MrT, jeaton01 ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: A modeler’s quandary...

A modeler’s quandary... 09 Sep 2019 14:36 #13

So what about historical accuracy, can you score points for presenting the USS Enterprise as it appeared after it's 1982 cruise to the Med (I don't know if it cruised to the Med in 82, just sayin')? Who would know what it looked like other than a USS Enterprise historian?
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

A modeler’s quandary... 09 Sep 2019 14:43 #14

moon puppy wrote:
So what about historical accuracy, can you score points for presenting the USS Enterprise as it appeared after it's 1982 cruise to the Med (I don't know if it cruised to the Med in 82, just sayin')? Who would know what it looked like other than a USS Enterprise historian?

I guess this begs the question, score points with whom?
  • JSteinman
  • JSteinman
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
  • alt
"Life is too short and the sun will go supernova someday, stop worrying about the s*** you cannot change."

-Me

"We don need no stinkin' badges"

A modeler’s quandary... 09 Sep 2019 14:59 #15

Documentation.....Documentation you must have documentation. At AMPS you get one point for that. :rotf
  • MrT
  • MrT
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms

"We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way."
General George Patton

A modeler’s quandary... 09 Sep 2019 15:43 #16

JSteinman wrote:
moon puppy wrote:

The score keeper? :rotf

You mentioned years ago that modelers in the US are too caught up in the rivet counting. They turn a blind eye to the artistic side of things.

Do you feel like that's still the case? Anyone?
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.

A modeler’s quandary... 09 Sep 2019 16:03 #17

moon puppy wrote:
JSteinman wrote:
moon puppy wrote:

You mentioned years ago that modelers in the US are too caught up in the rivet counting. They turn a blind eye to the artistic side of things.

Oh yeah the rivet guys are still out there. I think it may be more about paint colors and tones. Weathering is still a big deal and I think really over done.

:)
  • MrT
  • MrT
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms

"We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way."
General George Patton

A modeler’s quandary... 09 Sep 2019 20:22 #18

MrT wrote:

Oh yeah the rivet guys are still out there. I think it may be more about paint colors and tones. Weathering is still a big deal and I think really over done.

:)

I agree on the weathering bit Terry. I spend a lot of time looking at photos, especially of aircraft. While there is wear and tear and with war time planes, a lot of the weathering and highlighting is overdone. While the heavy panel lines might look good artistically, most photos don't show near that much weathering or delineation.

A modeler’s quandary... 09 Sep 2019 20:23 #19

moon puppy wrote:
JSteinman wrote:
moon puppy wrote:

Oh I still think North America is eons behind the rest of the world in finishing techniques, but we are making progress.
  • JSteinman
  • JSteinman
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
  • alt
"Life is too short and the sun will go supernova someday, stop worrying about the s*** you cannot change."

-Me

"We don need no stinkin' badges"

A modeler’s quandary... 13 Sep 2019 13:11 #20

I was judging at a local show and some numb*uts started in on how certain colors were just wrong!

I asked him how many angstroms off the colors were? He looked at me like I was a heathen (which I am) and a defiler of children (which I'm not). He then went one about weathering being insufficient...

Oddly, he didn't win a single ribbon, medal, trophy or whoopee cushion.

My bottom line will always be: Did you enjoy building it and are you satisfied with the result.

We are and always will be "boys playing with toys." Have fun!
  • Barney
  • Barney
  • Division Commander
    Division Commander
"Even watching her walk was a liberal education." C.S. Lewis

A modeler’s quandary... 13 Sep 2019 20:44 #21

You got it Barney! I agree. Some that don't know will always scream the loudest.

It boils down to this statement; "Those that think they know it all are especially annoying to those of us that do."

I don't know a lot, but there are a lot of things that I have thought through over the years and once tried usually worked well. One thing I am usually open to is constructive critiques. You never know when a new thought or suggestion can make a big difference.

A modeler’s quandary... 14 Sep 2019 02:33 #22

:) Well I agree with what everyone has said above, so this is a bit of a boring entry.
My take is obviously dioramas, as to me they are 3D paintings.
I also appreciate single model displays on a plane base and do plan to do a few in the future.
The difference for me is all about how i want to display the subject to be enjoyed by me or others (me first). Usually I like to keep it simple as a scene so it works as a display and a 'short story', the approach from the start is weighted by the balance of the composition to make the most of the visual harmony with the color and detail.
If I want to go bigger and consider going 'full Letterman' :lol:, it would be for visual impact around a story with the details leading you around the scene. The overall balance would be the visual hook that would draw the viewer closer because it has that thing that you can't quite put your finger on but you know its there throughout.

Lastly, I would create a model to put on a plain base(no ground work etc,) when I want to appreciate the model purely as a part of a set or a rare collectible, so that all distractions are removed. It would still be visually attractive through weathering etc but would match with others that were displayed the same. I would probaly only do this for certain types of ship models, spaceships, flying plane displays or single figures. I would never do this for a 1/35 scale land vehicle but would for a 1/16 tank display.

My final word is on those who rivet count or as mentioned by others, dwell on what they percieve to be inaccurate paint or details. I research for the interest and fun of it and it is by no means a religion for me. I have found that most over-the-top rivet counters are not painters (in most cases but not all) and rivet count for exactly that reason....they lack imagination, creativity and most of all the ability to improvise and interperet real or percieved effects and so turn back to all they know - the engineering side of models.
These types often suffer from being extremely boring while mixed with 2 1/2 cups of arrogance. :fencing

Ian.

A modeler’s quandary... 14 Sep 2019 06:38 #23

Personally a bit off both,

I can't place my current U Boat project in an arctic harbor setting because it never was there ,
As there are no pictures of the quay in Romania. i have to wing it..... and make it look good,believable and interesting (to me ) i even going to place a small FLAK emplacement on it !

Have to admit i like the look off a brighter/vibrant colored model than how an original looked ,
I like the look of a slightly blueish Pz grey more than the real PZ grey
same with OD green i like it a bit lighter Et cetera.

Most of all you must have fun with your hobby :geek its all good !!
  • Piet
  • Piet
  • Division Commander
    Division Commander
'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''
Last Edit: 14 Sep 2019 15:10 by Piet.

A modeler’s quandary... 14 Sep 2019 10:48 #24

Piet, all is good! As for the lighter Olive Drab being lighter, that is good as well. Moon Puppy has a color photo of American servicemen in Korea showing off the differences in the color of their uniforms. Thing is the paint does the same thing after being in the sun quite a while.

Plus we know that all batches of paint are not created quite the same so a bluish Panzer Grey is a distinct probability.
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds