• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Mainly28s Hetzer

Mainly28s

Oooookay, so a little background first.
Bolt Action Miniatures (BAM), as they were then knownwas a small wargames company run by two enthusiasts, providing 28mm WW2 wargames figures. BAM supported a number of master-makers, and pushed 1:56th scale as the correct scale for 28mm miniatures (one of the standard miniature sizes in wargaming), based on a number of calculations, which I explained on my web-site (1:56th scale for 28mm).
I made a number of vehicle masters for them, which were produced in resin and white metal. The last complete vehicle I did before my mini-stroke was this Hetzer. Now, before the eagle-eyed among you shout, I had to make a few simplifications to it, as it had to be easy to produce,have as few loose parts as possible, and be sturdy enough for use on a wargames table.
After a few weeks of playing with plastic card and filler, I ended up with one of each wheel and a section of track which were then duplicated so that I could assemble a set of ambidextrous running gear. The hull and most of the fittings were another single assembly, and a set of three hatches, the remote MG and the gun/mantlet completed the kit.

h2ee084f.jpg

hace91e0.jpg

hc3d9fd9.jpg

h34ed5b0_2014-03-31.jpg

h3365574.jpg

When the build here came up, I originally thought of doing a Panther (not my master, but one I've had for a while), but while digging through the lead-pile, I saw my Hetzer, and thought "why not?"

Funny enough, in all the time I've had this kit, I've never completed and painted one- partly because I had my mini-stroke before I could get to it, and then I kind of felt too intimidated by actually finishing one! All the kind words and support I've had here have encouraged me to try my hand at this one- several years late, but, as they say, better late than never.

So, without further ado- here is what the wargamer ends up with when purchasing a kit from Warlord Games (the current owners of the master).

h8b9b95f.jpg

h7c6ff67.jpg

As you can see, it looks pretty similar to what I made. The mantlet is different to what I sent in, mainly because the company preferred this version.

So. I'm going to clean 'er up, assemble the bits into a whole, maybe add some stowage, paint 'er up, and maybe add some foliage. The vehicle will be placed on a base, and I will add a crewman (or maybe two) to provide a sense of scale, and tie in with the wargames force this vehicle is intended for. I'm not going to do a historical scheme, just a generic one, as (typically for wargames use), the vehicle will do duty on several fronts, and not be attached to a specific unit.
What I DO hope to achieve is a completed vehicle, some practise in painting and weathering, and build on my confidence more. I have no issues with criticism (feel free to comment on techniques and methods)- the confidence is merely related to my own confidence that I CAN do things, not anything else.

(y)

Never seen anything in 1:56 scale. :popcorn

It's a wargaming scale, not a modelling scale, although Italeri are now in the process of bringing out a series of vehicles in 1:56th in conjunction with Warlord. There are quite a few companies producing kits in this scale now: Company B, JTFM/Die Waffenkammer, Warlord, Blitzkrieg Miniatures, Perry Miniatures, to name but a few. Another common scale in wargaming is 1:60.

It all goes back to "1 inch" figures, scale creep and the desire to have accompanying vehicles and equipment for wargames figures.

Sooo, back at the work-station after a period fraught with real-life issues. I'm currently devoting most of my time to additional education (Windows Azure) and looking for new employers as I found my position at the old one untenable- why hire an expert if you're not going to heed his advice?

Anyhow, I've cleaned the bits up, split the loader's hatch in two, assembled the various bits onto the hull, and primered the assembled vehicle.

hc27d4a7.jpg

h2078e9a.jpg

h31aae4f.jpg

Yes, I know there are some "iffy" parts, and I will be addressing some of them over the next few days (I hope). While I do that with assorted materials, including greeenstuff, plastic card and assorted other bits and bobs, I'll also be looking for a suitable colour scheme- suggestions welcome.

You'll also notice a head and a crewman-
hc6bc5ae.jpg
The head will be in the loader's hatch behind the turned MG. The half-body is the commander, and has been assembled from a multi-part plastic figure chopped about a bit. Again, a little greenstuff will be added to fill gaps and stuff before painting.

Windows Azure? googled it, man I wish I was still on server side stuff. :bang head

Hetzer looking good :popcorn

Back