• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Marine F-4J bomb out

jknaus

Administrator
Would anyone know what the common weapons load would be for a Marine F-4J Phantom II would be n the Vietnam theatre? Getting stuff together to do a VMFA 232 F-4J. Not sure what they would commonly carry. Saw one heavy load of 24 Mk 82s, but did not see a/a missiles. Thanks in advance.
James
PS, would even be interested in an "interesting" weapons config.

Found a picture from AOA decals with bomb loads and also found an armourers guide for Phantoms.Too bad we cant load pdf files here.

Here are two F4J's and one F-4B photo involving weapons from the Viet Nam era. Not too many pictures got taken of loaded airplanes on carriers, I suspect. Couldn't find any Marine birds with loads, maybe the Marines hadn't learned to use cameras and bombs at the same time...

F4B's
153040 NH-213 153006 NH-205 F-4B-27-MC VF-114.jpg

F4J's

155800 NG-100 F-4J-35-MC VF-96 Vietnam 1971-72.jpg

F4J

153827 NG-214 F4J-30-MC VF-92 USS Constellation CVA-64.jpg

You can bet your last buck there was someone around those PIGs with some AA missiles if they had a full loadout of Mk82. That PDF you found shows what weapons went on what pylon and what configuration, of course you couldn't put a fuel tank on a dry pylon. But the loadout would be mission specific James. Whatever the braided ones called for.

Thanks. I am leaning towards a full load of snake eyes although I kind of want to add some CBU's and or Napalm, but that would probably be unrealistic. Found some good pics on Fotki. I'm heavily leaning on the full load though.
James

What kit you going to use? If I recall correctly you can only do TERs on the outside pylons. MERS everywhere else. Man that would be one heavy PIG!

Found this on-line. Select the unit from the left and it will open a page and then you can download a PDF,
USMC VIETNAM WAR RECORDS

A typical air-to-ground loadout:
4 x Mk 20 Rockeye II
4 x Zuni Rockets (Anti-personnel) LAU-33/A two shot pods
4 x Mk 82 LDGP with extended fuses
2 x Mk 82 LDGP with standard fuses

For air-to-air (BARCAP/MIG Screen for LINEBACKER):
4 x AIM-9B/D/G
4 x AIM-7D/E
2 x 370 gal EFT
1 x 600 gal EFT (sometimes left off when supporting AG and AA missions)

When LINEBACKER missions were cancelled, aircraft could be reconfigured for AG mission by downloading the AIM-9's and uploading TER's with Mk 82 LDGP's.

Cheers,
RichB

The Phantom has always been my favorite airplane. It was THE plane when I was a kid and I loved it. Why in the heck have I not ever built one?

I see the flight manual but I don't see the -20 (That's the load out TO if I'm not mistaken after 40 years!)

Doesn't it allow uploads of PDF? It seems to upload and be treated as a downloadable file. Obviously, make sure you trust the source and have good anti-virus running and checked prior to opening. Let me know to remove them if it doesn't work.

@jknaus, these are the AoA Decals PDF loadout documents.

Attachments

• loadouts-115.pdf
    130.9 KB · Views: 31
  • loadouts-212.pdf
    96 KB · Views: 26
  • loadouts-232.pdf
    140 KB · Views: 24
  • loadouts-314.pdf
    154.8 KB · Views: 23
  • loadouts-323.pdf
    185.7 KB · Views: 25
  • loadouts-334.pdf
    107.6 KB · Views: 25
Doesn't it allow uploads of PDF? It seems to upload and be treated as a downloadable file. Obviously, make sure you trust the source and have good anti-virus running and checked prior to opening. Let me know to remove them if it doesn't work.

@jknaus, these are the AoA Decals PDF loadout documents.
Cool. Here is what I found. although I now notice it is for the F-4B

I think they uploaded because they were not all that big. (formatted text) Interesting! File size matters and Bob has that limited as it should be. I could probably do something similar with vector graphics drawings I have done. They end up a lot smaller than big photo files.

Back