• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M4A3E8 76mm Sherman Korean War

Sherman 18

Master at Arms
I will be using the Tasca M4A3E8 for a good old fashion Korean War Tiger Sherman with AFV Club track. I'm not sure what extact one it will be, but I'm not to the paint stage yet.

M4A3E876mm3_zpscfec805e.jpg

M4A3E876mm2_zps35f44b4b.jpg

M4A3E876mm_zpse9537e03.jpg

Slowly working on this, note for everyone, the plastic on the Tasca kits is different than the other Sherman kits I have ever worked on (Tamiya, Italeri and Dragon). What I mean by this is after I smeared Testors liquid cement all over the upper hull it made the plastic to soft to sand, unless you let it sit for longer than 24 hours. It could be a mix of weather or what ever not real sure but when I went to sand after letting the hull to sit over night with 400 grit sand paper the plastic would start "balling" up on the paper. No worries no damage or anything just a heads up if anyone tries it.

Gave the upper hull a little plate texture of rolled steel,
M4A3E876mmKorea090613_zps9a9e5c45.jpg

Also did a little casting texture on upper hull at the driver's and co-driver's roof
M4A3E876mmKorea0906132_zps48101c37.jpg

Why you doing this to the surface Jeff?

I want to try to duplicate the imperfections in the steel from when it is manufactured, castings are done in sand so they are never the same. One thing I have noticed is the flat side of the Sherman is not perfect and the easy way to duplicate this is to coat approximately a inch square with liquid cement and then dab a brush, I prefer the one on the bottle lid, until the surface gets sticky, then move on to another spot until it the whole surface is done.

Since I have dyslexia (yeah it gets worse with age), my mind works a lot better with pictures, so lets go,

Real Sherman M4A3E8 76mm
M4A3E818_zps9ef685cb.jpg

M4A3E821_zpsba4aea42.jpg

Here are a couple pictures Grace took, this kit is an old Italeri Sherman M4A3 hull (since I did not take any while doing it to this hull)
Platetexture_zps4449e072~0.jpg

Platetexture3_zpsce66afc6~0.jpg

It is easy, I recommend doing it early in the build. Try it sometime in a small spot on your next project I bet you will like the results.

Back