• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M2A1 Halftrack still in progress

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the link to the old site of the Halftrack/Lions Roar build

These were the last pictures posted back May of 09

M2A1051901.jpg

M2A1051902.jpg

M2A1051903.jpg

M2A1051904.jpg

M2A1051905.jpg

That leads up to today. I had a really bad day of modeling. Everything I attempted went wrong. I went from Buffalo to Wildcat to GMC75, nothing grooved. I remembered reading the FSM article about SBS working with pigments so I thought I'd give it a shot in earnest this time. I have in the past worked with pigments but just as a dry shading. I have not worked with it wet. I mixed up several colors of mud, rust and even some white and used some acrylic medium as the wetting agent. I started caking on the mud up under the mud flaps and over the tracks, on the road wheel boogies. My first thought was OMG! what have I done!

M2A101101.jpg

M2A101102.jpg

I played around on the bottom side then thought, why bother?

M2A101103.jpg

I worked it back and forth some and washed it down with some water making a nice sludge, I even pulled out the airbrush to blow some air over it to speed up drying time, just to see what it looked like dry. I didn't try to cake it up any, just covering.

Whacha think? No really. Looking at the pictures all together I really can't tell much changed. Maybe more of a problem of not enough light on the subject.

hang tough bob! see it as a first step, followed by further pigments!

i myself consider pigments my nemesis since they never turn out like i want them to look so i can understand you very well!

in theory all you have to do is to mix pigments with water to a muddy consistency and apply that mud! then you can push them around where and how you like them!

in theory ... :blush:

telling from the pics i think i know what you wanted to acchieve and how it turned out! reminded me of my last panzer 38(t) i did where i wanted to have nice little accumulations of dirt and what i received was a brown vehicle! the only way to get a halfway desired result now is persistence!

maybe one of the pigment cracks can help you better?

Well there you go, I'm not sure what I really want to achieve here either. Do I want to have it caked up or just covered where the crew had cleared up the clumps. Having said that, I intend to use the figures we're painting to go with this on a base as if they are broke down, the reason the hood is open. If that's the case they should be caked up with mud some more I would think. I'll go back and work with some more and play with the colors to get some contrast between wet and dry mud.

I"m assuming that a rich dark soil is in Northern France?

Back