• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

"La Bête" - Aéronavale Française Indochine

RichB

Salut tout le monde.

For this project we'll be converting the Pro Modeler SB2C-4 to a SB2C-5.

IMG_1078.JPG

The base kit comes with a small sheet of PE. I have replacement seats and wheels already. Decals for Aéronavale markings, 5" HVAR rockets and a replacement P-47N propeller are on they way. The pilot's sliding canopy needs the bracing removed and the cockpit upgraded from the -4 to -5 style. The -5 bomb bay is longer so some scribing and filling is needed to portray that. Not to difficult if showing the bombay closed.

France acquired 110 SB2C-5's to replace thier SBD-5 Dauntless fleet. The first 56 were delivered in 1949-1950, a second 44 in 1952 and an additional 10 for spare parts in 1955. Three first line units were formed, Flotille 3.F, 4.F and 9.F, as well as several second line utility and training units. Flotille 4.F operated the SB2C for about a year before converting to the TBM-3W Avenger. Flotille 3.F and 9.F went on to see operational service in Indochina between 1951 and 1954, both from land bases and aboard the carriers Arromanches (ex- HMS Colossus), Bois Belleau (ex-USS Bellau Wood) and La Fayette (ex-USS Langley). The SB2C was retired from French service in 1958.

Allons-y,
Rich

Guy in the first picture seems to be shouting...come back, i still have your PE here !

The real ACFT was a beast.

Is this the same kit that was popped in the 1970's?
This one was first released in 1997. It doesn't have the raised panel lines, folding wings, retractable landing gear or mechanism to open & close the bombay found on its 1979 cousin.

Cheers, Rich

This one was first released in 1997. It doesn't have the raised panel lines, folding wings, retractable landing gear or mechanism to open & close the bombay found on its 1979 cousin.

Cheers, Rich
1979? I was thinking the 1967 version... Blue Box Monogram $0.98

I had one of the Monogram Helldiver kits back about '68. Got it with the Corsair kit at the same time. The Helldiver kit everything worked quite well, gear up/down, wings folding, bomb bay doors open canopy sliding. The Corsair kit basically didn't work right. On anything. Ever since then I have liked the Helldiver.

Back