• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dale Earnhardt Jr 2001 All Star Game car

Adam Baker

Here's my entry for the Pro Racing campaign.

Dale Earnhardt Jr's 2001 Chevy Monte Carlo, run in the July 2001 Pepsi 400, to commemorate the 2001 Major League Baseball All Star Game.

3291e854f7199a5a6ccd12796ec04a14.jpg

Dale Jr. ran a total of 5 baseball related cars, for 5 consecutive years, commemorating either the All Star Game, or the World Series. I don't know about other people, but I always refer to these cars as the Budball cars. I have the decals to do all 5 cars, and I decided to go ahead & start on this car.

As mentioned, this car was run in the 2001 Pepsi 400, which was the first Daytona race following the death of Dale Earnhardt Sr. Dale Earnhardt Jr. put on a dominating performance in this race, leading 116 laps before going on to winning the race. It was a very emotional race, to say the least.

Kit being used is the Revell 2000 Jeff Gordon Monte Carlo, and the decals are from Powerslide Decals.

2001%20Budball%20001.jpg

I haven't decided yet how much detail I'm going to add to this build. At the very least the nose will be corrected to reflect the right nose. B/c the car was run at Daytona, it had a downforce style nose, not the intermediate nose that is molded on the body. I've got a cast resin replacement nose I might use, but I don't really like its condition, so I may attempt to modify the stock nose, but I haven't decided.

I've completed at least a dozen other Nascar models, and I've been wanting to start pushing the envelope of my skills on these builds, so I'm thinking about adding detail to the engine, and working on adding the various missing roll cage bars, but that will probably be decided as I progress through the build.

I'll get the official start image posted Friday afternoon.

*edit*

Here's the time stamped start shot

2001%20Budball%20002.jpg

What a coincidence, was reading a build thread for that very car over at Randy's site only last night.

Two things... It ain't straight white, it's Pearl White and don't try to use decals for the red trim on the abc pillars, they fracture easily so best mask & paint that area.

Hth

Ian.

I want to say I remember reading somewhere that there was a debate on whether it was a pure white or a pearl white, but I haven't looked in awhile. And I was going to attempt to use the pillar decals, just so that all of the colors matched, but I'm prepared to paint them if I have to.

What a coincidence, was reading a build thread for that very car over at Randy's site only last night.

Two things... It ain't straight white, it's Pearl White and don't try to use decals for the red trim on the abc pillars, they fracture easily so best mask & paint that area.

Hth

Ian.

No, it's this one by Henrik. I mentioned it also because you said you'd like to improve the cage, and Henrik has done this aswell as slightly dropping the skirts and front air-dam.

HTH

Ian.

Ok, original post is updated w/ the time stamp shot.

Dont think I'll get anything done this weekend. Leaving in the morning to spend the weekend at my mom's place. Get to run around in a backhoe all weekend, doing grading work & prep for pouring the concrete pad for a garage.

Back