• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Complete! Moon Puppy's PhantomII

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
IT may not be as pretty as it should be, yes, there is more that can be done, but i'm calling it done. *
f4c6_20100531_1623682459.jpg

f4c5_20100531_1933544847.jpg

f4c4_20100531_1386957824.jpg

f4c3_20100531_1557048500.jpg

f4c2_20100531_1098312459.jpg

f4c1_20100531_1517209718.jpg

Pretty nice little kit really. Decals out the wahoo, enough to do at least two more birds. I opted out for the basic decals, left off a lot of the stencils and keeping wear and tear to a minimum. Figured this would be a show bird in this paint scheme.

So I submit for your approval my entry to the Braille Scale Bonanza II 2010.

The F4-C Phantom II.

*for now.

Last edited:
Ohh-la-la !

That sure is a purdy lookin burd yah got there ;) .

And I approve. And I wouldn't worry about the light weathering. As you stated, with that paint job, it is almost certainly a stateside bird. And would be in as new condition as possible by the air crew. (y)

Now it makes me want to build mine that I got for the USMC group build.

Gary B)

Thanks guys, I debated putting the centerline tank on it but again, time was not on my side today. Today was sort of fun, reminded me of when I was a kid trying to get the model finished before bedtime and school tomorrow...I'm wore out, also cut down a dead dogwood tree and hauled it off in between the storms, at least the chain saw fired right up.

A friend of my fathers flew one of those birds over Nam, he said the thing was like a caddy, unfortunately it handled like one too!

Looks good! :mpup

A quick build indeed! Those markings are super nice even without a sharkmouth. What happened to the sweaty canopy?

Do you remember the IMC brand 'Battle Damage' series? I built the F-4 phantom and MiG-21 kits. Your statement about rushing to get done before lights out in my home brought these memories as I looked at your kit.

EDIT: I just noticed that the series were all from the Vietnam War... and Lindberg is re-releasing these modified HAWK kits.

Regards,

I think you would like those decals Saul, I used Champs on them and they laid down nicely.

If I recall correctly there was an E model that came with a Sharkmouth. I have some old style pictures of one I build while in the USAF somewhere, big 1:32 scale. Don't recall what unit sported it though. I do recall one manufacture modeling battle patches, apparently the gate guard they used for reference was a true veteran and had many battle patches all over the place.

The Canopy is clear now, there is a slight fog in the bad rear, I don't know what that is, no Tenax was used back in that area or on the canopy at all. Humidity is still high, I'm going to leave the AC on tomorrow and see if it clears up. I have another problem in the shop though, invasion of the baby spiders. Guess mama spider's egg sack busted open and these little buggers are everywhere. Time for RAID!

So you can see the rush job also? I should have worked on this more, it deserved it because it is a nice kit.

One other trick that you can use to dry out something is to put it in the refrigerator. Any good frost free refrigerator will suck the moisture out of almost anything if you leave it in there for a day or two. Of course if you don't tell Mrs Moon Puppy you might not have to worry about moisture being inside any part of it after she cracks it open and fry's it up for your dinner :laugh:

Gary B)

Congrats Bob looks good, nice to see an airplane in the mix, maybe that's what I'll do next year.

I have a small cheap dehumidifier in my library, I would place it right next to it.

Yes, the build was rushed but not abandoned, that is what impresses me. You can go back to it at some other point and work on it again if so inclined.

There were many Phantom II with sharkmmouths, many countries painted them on as well on different variants. A discussion for another forum I guess.

Thanks to Swanny's, I tried Champs and am very happy. I tested it against several brands and it outperformed them all for everyday use. The brands in the shootout were:

Champs
Daco Set (Danny Cooreman's own decal solution for his fabulous decals)
Mark Softer
MiscroSet (old formula)
MicroSol (old formula)
SuperSet
SuperSol
Testors

Some solutions are very strong (like Daco) and melt delicate Eastern European decals while others can't affect the thicker decals we come across in some kits such as Monogram, Hasegawa, Tamiya, and so on...

Regards,

sharkmouth wrote:
Thanks to Swanny's, I tried Champs and am very happy. I tested it against several brands and it outperformed them all for everyday use. The brands in the shootout were:

Champs
Daco Set (Danny Cooreman's own decal solution for his fabulous decals)
Mark Softer
MiscroSet (old formula)
MicroSol (old formula)
SuperSet
SuperSol
Testors

Some solutions are very strong (like Daco) and melt delicate Eastern European decals while others can't affect the thicker decals we come across in some kits such as Monogram, Hasegawa, Tamiya, and so on...

Regards,

Our friend Rob Hart at Swanny's did a very good side by side test of a lot of formulas including straight vinegar, the clear winner was Champs. Sadly that test was lost when Swanny's crashed from a hack attack.

Back