• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

COLD WARRIOR UPDATE 5-4-10

MrT

Master at Arms
Staff member
At the last show that I went to I was looking though a vendor's stuff and down in the back of a box was a old model from my youth. The box was dirty and little bit crushed, but there looking back at me was a 1970's Tamiya M60A1. I have been looking at these kits on ebay for awhile, but just could not seem to win one. So I snatched it up and took it home. Now I have always had a special place for these tanks. I grew up running around my Dad's M48A1 while he was the Guard and since the M60 is a close cousin I like them too.
DSC03504.jpg

Now this is not the most up to date kit, but she was top of line in her time so this past Saturday I set to work determined that this kit was going to have it's day in the sun.
I went looking today to see if I could find anyone else working on this model and guess what no one. I was pleased to see Sherman18 had done some M48's, but on another forum I had to go back almost 4 years to find anything close. I know that there is lots a thing wrong with this kit, but I like trying to make something out of an old kit. So I am going to dedicate this little build to all the kits that didn't get made. To the one's that just don't seem to pass muster against the new kits of today. If anyone has an old kit that is just collecting dust pull it out and see what you can make out of it I think you will amazed at the result. Here are some WIP pictures of Saturday's work.
DSC03505.jpg

DSC03506.jpg

DSC03508.jpg

DSC03510.jpg

B)

Re:COLD WARRIOR

Looking good so far. I just got me and M247 Sgt. York at a contest. Thats on my to-do list now too.

Joe

Leopard2 wrote:
Looking good so far. I just got me and M247 Sgt. York at a contest. Thats on my to-do list now too.

Joe

Good one Joe! I've done that one also. Pretty cool kit.

Terry B)

Terry I remember well building this when I was a kid. I don't even think I painted it, hey it was already green right?

moon puppy wrote:
Terry I remember well building this when I was a kid. I don't even think I painted it, hey it was already green right?

This was one that I missed. I am going to try and finish it like the box art.

Terry B)

Hi Terry.

That is a nice quick start to a fairly good basic kit. It may not be up to the modern standards. Or be able to stand the caliper test. But it is a nice solid kit. And if you only paid $8.00 for it, you got one heck of a deal.

I also like these older Tamiya kits more for an exercise in what I can get it to look like with a basic build and then paint and weather. I have an old M-41, an M-48, and the M-60a1 RISE sitting on my shelf, and they look not to bad considering how long ago I built them. And I also have that horrid Tamiya T-62 that I have been thinking about pulling down and totally reworking, but I don't know about that one :unsure:

Gary B)

G Cooper wrote:
Hi Terry.

That is a nice quick start to a fairly good basic kit. It may not be up to the modern standards. Or be able to stand the caliper test. But it is a nice solid kit. And if you only paid $8.00 for it, you got one heck of a deal.

I also like these older Tamiya kits more for an exercise in what I can get it to look like with a basic build and then paint and weather. I have an old M-41, an M-48, and the M-60a1 RISE sitting on my shelf, and they look not to bad considering how long ago I built them. And I also have that horrid Tamiya T-62 that I have been thinking about pulling down and totally reworking, but I don't know about that one :unsure:

Gary B)

I gave a little more than $8.00 for this kit. I think that was likely the original price once upon a time. Go ahead and pull down that nasty T-62 and stretch your skills.

Terry B)

snipersmudge wrote:
Great choice of model, built a couple of these many years ago

I think it has some hope. Already made some changes with more down the line.

Terry B)

You're a machine! No wonder your robotic warrior looks so good, genetics!

No rust forms on your bench. ;)

Regards,

sharkmouth wrote:
You're a machine! No wonder your robotic warrior looks so good, genetics!

No rust forms on your bench. ;)

Regards,

Shoot I can't even see most of it. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Terry B)

Ok it's up-date time. I have added some tie downs and replaced the tool box handles. Next I have textured the hull and drilled out the headlights. The turret came next and is 95% complete. Added grab handle to the loader's hatch, new resin jerry can and holder, moved forward antenna mount back to the mid turret position,and machine gun cover on the commander's cupola. I didn't like the paint color I used the first time so I repainted using a darker shade of green. I will add a mantlet cover and tow cable soon. Attached are a few images of progress so far.

Terry B)

DSC03520.jpg

DSC03521.jpg

DSC03522.jpg

DSC03523.jpg

DSC03524.jpg

DSC03525.jpg

DSC03526.jpg

B)

Kreighshoer wrote:
that's cool looking terry!

the mg cover is tissue paper?

Thanks Laura! Yes the cover is tissue paper held on with clear floor wax. When I am satisfied with it I will give it a coat or super glue to harden it.

Terry B)

Hi Terry.

It is looking better and better. I was wondering though. Isn't the floor wax, and then a coat or two of paint enough to hold the tissue pretty much premanant?

Gary B)

G Cooper wrote:
Hi Terry.

It is looking better and better. I was wondering though. Isn't the floor wax, and then a coat or two of paint enough to hold the tissue pretty much premanant?

Gary B)

Yeah but the super glue will allow me to sand if I need to and it adds protection from moisture.

Terry B)

Back