• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Challenge Campaign 1/72 J&L ATL-98 Carvair

ErnieS

So, just got one of these, a long sought after kit for me. This kit was first produced in 1978, and so can be a little difficult to get a hold of. Formaaplane get the molds from J&L and re-released the kit, though it seems it was in a much thinner plastic, so I am very happy to have an original J&L kit. It also has Scale Master decals for a BAF aircraft, but I do not plan to use them if I can help it.
The real Carvair's were converted from DC-4's/C-54's by Freddie Laker's Aviation Traders LTD. to carry vacationing families and their cars around Europe. The bulbous nose held three autos, while the section aft of the wing held the passengers. In later life these aircraft were used to haul cargo in Africa, Europe, Alaska, and British Columbia. In fact there is some very interesting video on Youtube of the BC freighters landing on dirt strips that are just plane scary for an aircraft this size.

When I found out I got the kit, I also ordered a DC-4 Correction set from RedRoo Models. This set is meant for the Mach-poo C-54 kit, and includes new resin engines, cowls, and props as well as a few other bits. These will be excellent replacements for the kit provided vac engines, props and cowlings. I of course will need to figure out how to attach them to this kit vis the Mach-2 kit, but they will certainly add an excellent extra level of detail to the kit.

The only things left are to get a set of SAC metal landing gear for the DC-6 that I can convert to use on this, and to see if Ray at 26 Decals can print up a set of his 1/1444 Aer Lingus Carvair decals in 1/72nd scale for me.

One other neat factoid about this kit, Paul Fisher of Fisher Models (now well known for his awesome 1/32nd resin aircraft kits) first job in the model making industry was running the vacuforming machine at J&L pulling these kits :rotf
Ernie

Goldfinger is on, knew I saw this somewhere.

GFAviation_Traders_ATL-98.jpg

GFG-ASDC.jpg

No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!

Back