• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Ch-47/147F Chinook

jknaus

Administrator
Does anyone know of any conversion or updates for the Trumpeter CH-47F Chinook? I know its basically a "D" model with a glass cockpit and I have found an instrument panel for it but wondering if there is anything else out there. Considering the age of the kit I expected more but not having luck finding anything. I am getting the 1/35 Ch-47D and going to modify it to a CH-1478F flying in 450 Sqn RCAF. We just lost one a couple of days ago during training and unfortunately the 2 pilots didnt survive. I have a buddy who is in 450 Sqn but I dont want to bother him at the moment. I do want to make a tribute bird though. Thanks for any help.
James

All I could offer is this Scalemates search
Thanks. I checked there and didn't find much. I checked Warners Wings and he didn't have an F update and all the rest were no longer being made. I'm really surprised there isn't more with the age of the kit.
James

1687717494348.png

Like this?

I have the A version. I believe that Eduard made a photo etch set back when. Other than that I don't know much about the D kit.

OK, did some looking on EBay. Found these.

s-l1600 (38).jpg

There were a couple of these one out of Australia, and one out of Spain. About $30 US

Then there is the Eduard D photo etch interior and cockpit. On EB here.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

And then the exterior here.
s-l500.jpg

s-l500 (1).jpg

I am not sure if Eduard still has these in stock, but this should give you a starting point.

Last edited:
I thought if a Guy could find a 1/35-35 CH-46E instrument panel, they might be close. No joy.

Thanks guys. I found the IP and have it ordered. Warners Wings made some E stuff but its out of production. I could not find the Eduard stuff but will look at ebay. Otherwise I guess no AM makers were interested in the Chinook which I find off. Will have to try and get drawings and try and make my own stuff.
James

Holy smokes. $29 or so for Eduard PE for the kit and #59 shipping. Will have to do without me thinks. Seems Eduard has discontinued the PE sets for the chinook also.

Our CH147F's are "Canadianized", incorporating a hockey sock of modifications that makes them look more like a MH-47G/HH-47F. Features that differentiate it from the D model are the extended radome, the EO/IR turret under the nose, the forward landing gear have been moved forward of the first circular cabin windows over the sponsons (D's have the landing gear just aft of that window), they can also be fitted with the FAT tanks (the reason the landing gear was moved forward), the screens on the top of the aft pylon forward of the rotor are different and the additional antennas and defensive sensor lumps and bumps. Some of the features left off from the MH-47G/HH-47F are multi-mode radar, AAR probe and rescue hoist.

Some of the pictures US Army and international F model Chinooks are re-built D models and don't include all the features of the new build F models.

Some of the other features that have appeared since they have come into service include the C6 MG mounts in the starboard door, port forward cabin window/emergency exit and on the aft ramp (I don't believe the M134 Minigun or GAU-21 0.50 cal have been cleared yet), the AN/AAQ-24 Directional Infrared Counter Measures (DIRCM) pods on the aft part of the sponsons and the "Coffee Can" particle separators in place of the conical ones. These and the FAT tanks can be mission dependent so may not always be installed. The ones that were here for Maple Resolve had them all installed.

ch-147-dircm.jpg

CH147F on UN operation in Mali.

Cheers,
Rich

Our CH147F's are "Canadianized", incorporating a hockey sock of modifications that makes them look more like a MH-47G/HH-47F. Features that differentiate it from the D model are the extended radome, the EO/IR turret under the nose, the forward landing gear have been moved forward of the first circular cabin windows over the sponsons (D's have the landing gear just aft of that window), they can also be fitted with the FAT tanks (the reason the landing gear was moved forward), the screens on the top of the aft pylon forward of the rotor are different and the additional antennas and defensive sensor lumps and bumps. Some of the features left off from the MH-47G/HH-47F are multi-mode radar, AAR probe and rescue hoist.

Some of the pictures US Army and international F model Chinooks are re-built D models and don't include all the features of the new build F models.

Some of the other features that have appeared since they have come into service include the C6 MG mounts in the starboard door, port forward cabin window/emergency exit and on the aft ramp (I don't believe the M134 Minigun or GAU-21 0.50 cal have been cleared yet), the AN/AAQ-24 Directional Infrared Counter Measures (DIRCM) pods on the aft part of the sponsons and the "Coffee Can" particle separators in place of the conical ones. These and the FAT tanks can be mission dependent so may not always be installed. The ones that were here for Maple Resolve had them all installed.

View attachment 160720

CH147F on UN operation in Mali.

Cheers,
Rich
Thanks Rich. More info here than I've found online. Not sure how easy it will be to move the front landing gear and make the new nose and the Warners Wings E conversion with the fat tanks is no longer in production so not sure about that either. Sigh!
James

Back