• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Monogram Kingfisher

nerdling

I figured this would be a great kit to build for the floater campaign. I plane on building this as an early war version with the tail stripes and red center insignia.

IMG_7374.JPG

IMG_7375.JPG

IMG_7376.JPG

IMG_7377.JPG

Adding a bit of aftermarket stuff to her as well. Not sure how much of the Lone Star resin stuff will be used. Some of it really doesn't look all that nice.

IMG_7378.JPG

My one and only reference I have for this plane.

Dude, I think that kit is older than you are! I remember building that when I was a kid. Not that boxing but those molds.

:popcorn

Cool I've got the same kit, but none of the real cool stuff you have. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

that is a nice kit, I did one out of the box and I'm very happy with it. It does have the raised panel lines. but for its age it is pretty good.

I did mine in the scheme that came with the kit, yellow wings, blue/grey body.

Nice!

I built one of these a couple years ago and added the Lonestar interior, cowl and main float. They took a bit of work but they look much better than the kits originals. It is worth the work!

a couple notes I made were:
1. to move the parachute flare tubes aft a little than what was described in the diagrams.
2. I actually cut the top off the rear fuselage piece and used Evergreen to make some internal ribbing on the upper part of the plane (in the rear) because it didn't fit well
3. I found the pilots head rest was positioned too high so I cut it off with a knife and moved it lower.
4. I had to trim the instrument panel piece quite a bit to get it to fit.
5. I added a couple pieces of Evergreen to make the triangular braces near the parachute flare tubes as well.

I ended up trimming the left and right cockpit sides quite a bit as well but that was more because of the arrangement I had for attaching the wings, nothing to do with Mike's kit. The cockpit sides are very nicely molded.

Mike might have updated the molds since I bought mine though!

Back