Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
"Wesendorf Field"

Park your aircraft at our Tom Wesendorf Memorial Aerodrome and Poolside Lounge. Share your aircraft builds here.

TOPIC: Tamiya P-38F build

Tamiya P-38F build 21 Nov 2019 19:29 #49

Thanks Bob! It's good to be on the other side of this finally. I will get to meet with the doctor as a followup on Dec 3. Heard that he was quite happy with how it all went and seems like he did a better job than the other jerk that did this job before.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tamiya P-38F build 21 Nov 2019 21:42 #50

Naps are good. I highly recommend them.
  • Barney
  • Barney
  • Division Commander
    Division Commander
"Even watching her walk was a liberal education." C.S. Lewis

Tamiya P-38F build 22 Nov 2019 00:28 #51

Thanks Barney!

Ended up past the sleepy bit, so I went in and did a little work on this tonight. Mainly on the nose gear. It was short on some prominent detail for the anti shimmy device. Some small holes, turned down small tubing, and copper wire got the job done. Then I found the upper pin had cracked almost off so it had to be drilled and pinned.

I am needing some new thin quick set CA as all that I had got thick and went bad. Might make a trip to the Hobby Shop tomorrow. They should be in the new location by now.

Moving around has done more to work out the discomfort in my leg. Also had to re-wrap the ACE bandage as it was a bit on the loose side and not really staying put. I don't really like the new bandages with the Velcro. The old ones with the metal clips I think worked better.

Tamiya P-38F build 22 Nov 2019 22:17 #52

Adhesive tape.

i worked as a trainer through HS, College and in the USAF... It will still come loose, but the tape will hold it longer.
  • Barney
  • Barney
  • Division Commander
    Division Commander
"Even watching her walk was a liberal education." C.S. Lewis

Tamiya P-38F build 23 Nov 2019 02:12 #53

The build is looking fantastic. Thanks for the build review. Seems like this kit is one for the stash.
:good

Tamiya P-38F build 23 Nov 2019 09:11 #54

Skinny_Mike wrote:
The build is looking fantastic. Thanks for the build review. Seems like this kit is one for the stash.
:good

Thanks for looking in Mike!

Yes it is a well thought out kit. Most everything fits quite well. I have only used a "slight" amount of filler on the leading edge of the wing and where the top/bottom sides of the cockpit nacelle meet. Then a very slight amount on the top of the booms just behind the superchargers. There is a line on the top/bottom of the booms behind the radiators at the seam that is supposed to be there. It matches with other panel lines, so no filler there. The worst area seems to be the air intakes for the oil coolers. That is a complex area that fits well, but has seams that should not be there.

I would recommend the full Eduard PE set with interior and exterior. The cockpit is a little light on some details, and things like the radiators and oil coolers are a touch off. The PE gets it right. I modded the landing gear yoke links on the kit to match photos rather than use the PE parts as the PE parts are not thick enough.

Tamiya P-38F build 25 Nov 2019 02:07 #55

After the surgery last Thursday I took it easy for the rest of the day. Friday I just couldn't set still though. My leg actually felt better if I was up and moving around. Not doing jumping jacks or running, just slow walking around the house. While the incision is smaller than last time, I have a large area around it that has no feeling. :angry: Good thing is I can still walk around, kick butt and take names. :thumbsup Hopefully this will be the last one.

Since I had some free time and needed to just take it easy it was get busy in the hobby room.

The paint rack should help with the paint organization. This brand works quite well and he is getting ready to branch out into military colors. The Alclad bottle fitting was a bonus.

As for rivet tools I might toss the Trumpter one if I can find some better quality tools. To do the guide lines I dug out an OLD drafting pencil and put a piece of HB lead in it. (Very soft lead makes nice lines on the plastic) Then using various means I measured and drew out the lines to guide the rivet tool.

Tamiya P-38F build 25 Nov 2019 07:58 #56

• Piet
  • Piet
  • Division Commander
    Division Commander
'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Tamiya P-38F build 25 Nov 2019 08:30 #57

Sweet work Paul. :popcorn
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.

Tamiya P-38F build 25 Nov 2019 19:37 #58

Looking great, I picked up some of Eduard's latest releases for this kit. Need to get it on the to do list.
  • Big10
  • Big10
  • Company Commander
    Company Commander

Tamiya P-38F build 26 Nov 2019 14:55 #59

Hey! Here is another update! Did some work on one of the booms last night. The hard part is measuring and marking where the lines will go. Following the lines with the rivet tool is fairly easy.

Tamiya P-38F build 26 Nov 2019 20:28 #60

Git'er done Paul. :popcorn
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.
Time to create page: 0.304 seconds