• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airfix P-40 Oiled up

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
I've been itching to try this.

So I grabbed an Airfix P40 from HobbyLobby pretty cheap. Think I've spent more in oils than the kit.
h063d2fe.jpg

While I build this I can't get this out of my head.

Which, I think I have the markings for... :D

So I put the cockpit together pretty quickly. Stole some navy seat belts, anyone call me out i'm charging double on next months dues... :eek:hyeah

hb8a8271.jpg

h80ebe02.jpg

So I started playing with the oils to see how they looked. I had intended to use the metallic for a NMF one day so I thought I'd try out some techniques on some internal and not so internal parts. Started with Abteilung 502
hb99341b.jpg

Maybe I got the wrong one but..as you can see, the pigments are just too big. I tried blending it with their white, no go. Even used their fast dry thinner to say I'm doing it right.

Then I tried the AK Aluminum AK455
hcb5fea3.jpg

As you can see it's much better, much finer pigments and totally usable for what I want to do.

Then I wanted to press my luck.

I stopped by the Uschi booth at Chattanooga and discussed the powders they have. I had tested on another kit a while back and it just rolled off. They asked if it was a painted surface, it was. They suggested doing to bare plastic. So I stripped the part I'm playing with, cleaned it up well and dipped a Q-Tip in the powder and started rubbin'.

ha0abd9a.jpg

As you can see, REALLY nice, just too dark for aluminum IMHO.

Oh, and really digging how this is going together so far. Let's see how I can screw it up. :Hiay

Last edited:
Mine is sitting right next to me now as this is written, boss. 'You doin' the Pearl Harbour one or the Flying Tiger (I am) ?

Ian.

Excellent... Might I suggest: :evil:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48162

Ian.

:popcorn
Just keep the oils thin and not chunky...same for pigments.
I would suggest laying down a thin undercoat of acrylic when using oils or pigments though. :good:
If you don't do want to have the undercoat then you must lightly sand the surface with a very fine sandpaper to give it 'tooth'

Ian.

Just keep the oils thin and not chunky...same for pigments.
I would suggest laying down a thin undercoat of acrylic when using oils or pigments though. :good:
If you don't do want to have the undercoat then you must lightly sand the surface with a very fine sandpaper to give it 'tooth'

Ian.

Thanks Ian, PLASMO mentions some surface prep sanding, I thought I would try a primer on a couple of parts to see how that goes.

I am trying Rub N Buff on my mustang as we speak and it's not going to well. A lot of trail and error right now. I did a spitfire with the AK True Metal and it swas okay.
h4f6e2e6.jpg

Will keep you posted on the RubNBuff as I figure out what surface it likes best.

I have that same P-40 kit so I will be taking notes.

This was a test wing from old B-17 kit with a mix of RunNBuff and some AK True Metal. Mr. Color C2 was base coat. Buffed with dremel then dabbed with more RubNBuff and left alone for that oxidation look.

h830228b.jpg

Hey I like it, has that look to it that Alclad just doesn't grab. How does it stand up to handling?

It seems to do okay. Just got to be mindful of finger prints. I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants right now.

Interesting Bob! I'm still kicking on my Vac table, but it is getting closer. I think it might get finished this coming weekend, unless I have to make a run to Tulsa. (Mom's not doing too well not been eating well and has run herself down)

I have several NMF planes (yeah BIG ONES) I am going to have to address how to do it one of these days. :facepalm

Will be watching to see what you do.

Watching-with-Popcorn.jpg

Someone motivated could knock this sweet kit out in a weekend.

h45208da.jpg

Interesting engineering here. Those yokes coming up from the wheel well inserts latch into the pegs on the lower wing, notice how they are not lined up yet, that's the natural lay of the lower wing, once you lock it in place and glue it, it forces the dihidral of the wing up. That leads to one of the nicest wing root fits i've seen in a while.

hb224355.jpg

I could probably have the construction this weekend. Heading to Ct next week so bench time will be scarce.

Someone motivated could knock this sweet kit out in a weekend.

h45208da.jpg

Interesting engineering here. Those yokes coming up from the wheel well inserts latch into the pegs on the lower wing, notice how they are not lined up yet, that's the natural lay of the lower wing, once you lock it in place and glue it, it forces the dihidral of the wing up. That leads to one of the nicest wing root fits i've seen in a while.

hb224355.jpg

I could probably have the construction this weekend. Heading to Ct next week so bench time will be scarce.

I think we all would be a little more productive builders with more motivation :)

very cool build, following along!

She's up on her legs.

hf89fb3c.jpg

I'm debating the sanding method or just priming it at this point. I can see I got a bit of clean up on the leading edge.

Back