• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

S 31 Spitfire (1/72 Airfix PR.XIX)

RichB

Another little side project is a photo recce Spitfire.

h75eedeb.JPG

Its one of Airfix's early new generation of releases. The panel lines are a bit oversize but the shape is accurate and the panel layout is correct for the PR.XIX. The instrument panel is a decal which should look okay as there is only a closed canopy option. I added the shelf anr 3 oxygen bottles between the seat bulkhead and aft pressure bulkhead.

h341cc4e.JPG

ha1d312a.JPG

There is some basic sidewall detail provided. I added the crowbar to the LH side.

ha119767.JPG

I built up the wheel well walls and added the ribs to the upper wing. There was (the key word) a clear part for the two lower surface camera ports. It went for a flight when I removed it from the sprue and hasn't been seen since. Not all was lost, while reading about the S 31, the camera lenses were recessed into the wing and there were FOD panels put in place when the aircraft was on the ground to prevent damage to the glass. So, plastic sheet cut and shaped to fit and we have the FOD panels in place.

hdf81697.JPG

Cheers,
Rich

Back