Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: USS Missouri build 2018

USS Missouri build 2018 27 Jan 2019 12:40 #73

Hey Paulw;

MMMMM, interesting question. Being a bird farm sailor, I don't really know much about battlewagons. I have been to the Mighty Mo in Hawaii, but she has lots of differences now as a museum than in WWII.

I don't even know where exactly the Quarterdeck is, let alone if there was a carve out for natural finish on the teak there. As I didn't want to tackle the 32 / 22D dazzle camo of 1944 (I have enough problems with paint as it is) I decided to go for the graded Measure 22 of 1945.

" Measure 22 was also introduced in the June 1942 revision as another graded system to replace Measure 12. This measure was intended for use on combatant ships in areas where bright weather with fair visibility predominated, and high angle aerial observation was unlikely. Navy blue (5-N) was applied to the hull up to the height of the main deck edge at its lowest point with the upper edge of this navy blue area horizontal. Haze gray (5-H) was painted on all remaining vertical surfaces and all masts. Deck blue (20-B) was applied to all decks and other horizontal surfaces. The undersides of overhanging horizontal surfaces were painted with white (5-U) to lighten shadows. Measure 22 was primarily to reduce the visibility of the ship when viewed at a distance by blending with the horizon, however Everett Warner, who was advocating disruptive designs, criticized it. "

I looked at some books, Battleship Missouri - an Illustrated history by Paul Stillwell and Alan Chesley (on sale at Naval Intitute Press for $48.00, and some smaller treatises for 15.00 to 35.00, but I don't really want to spend money on a book I'll never use again, or, know if they even deal with what I want. I might just stick with the Measure 22 guidelines. Do you have any other info on this I can follow up on?

EJ
  • MM2CVS9
  • MM2CVS9
  • Company Commander
    Company Commander
The administrator has disabled public write access.

USS Missouri build 2018 08 Mar 2019 01:08 #74

I love these big scale ship models! And the Missouri has always been my favorite!

Looks like you are going all out! Looks great!

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Bob

USS Missouri build 2018 09 Mar 2019 08:35 #75

Thank you.
Havn't been at the bench for a bit. The painting (my Achilles heel) was giving me fits so I moved to another project. This is a 1:1 scale living room paint job. I do fine with a 12" roller. SWMBO has been after me for a year to do this and I finally broke down. Should be ready to get back to the bench next week. I got some new paints to try out and I'm anxious to test them.

EJ
  • MM2CVS9
  • MM2CVS9
  • Company Commander
    Company Commander
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds