• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Video Review-AK Weather Pencils

errains

Heavy Metal Modeling
Staff member
Came across this review. Its nicely done so I thought I would share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rVo6ipN-M8

:v

These do look like they could be useful, I plan to get a few to try out. Prismacolor pencils have been on my bench a very long time, but these seem to be different and worth a shot. (y)

I think the main draw will the that these are color specific for modeling. I'm on the fence about picking any up at the moment though.

Nice, so they have "Pre war steel forged at Detroit factory 2" color? :rotf

I like that they blend. :popcorn

These do look like they could be useful, I plan to get a few to try out. Prismacolor pencils have been on my bench a very long time, but these seem to be different and worth a shot. (y)

Prismacolor are wax based. These are more like a dry pigment or pastel.

They didn't reinvent the wheel here, just offered a narrow range of a product at a normal price, so good deal.

It's basically a controllable way of applying dry pigment.

I won't get getting them because I have a full range of dry pastel, watercolor, oil pastel, Prismacolor and almost everything Derwent ever made on hand. But if I didn't, I'd grab a set of these for sure.

But I will be grabbing a pencil next time I need a rain mark.

I've used pencils for weathering before, but only steel or silver for worn edges. I'm kinda disappointed in myself for not thinking of this already.

Nice, so they have "Pre war steel forged at Detroit factory 2" color? :rotf

Oh that awesome I've been trying to get that color just right but never did... :blink :rotf

In all serious, I don't have any pencils other than graphite. So these would be a viable option for me if I decide to pull the trigger on something like this.

I tested what I had on hand. I used an old build of a F6F and a Frankenstein hand. Both were satin finishes (not matte as in the video), the Hellcat covered in dust.

Derwent Dry Pastels: Went on beautifully, I used a deep blue, dark brown and black. Got very nice streaking and exhaust straining, picked out veining on the hands. Looked beautiful when wet, but got a bot blotchy as it dried. Again, may have been the finish, I'll need to try it with a dead flat finish.

Prismacolor Water Soluble Pencils: these went on just as nice, but stayed true after drying. I suspect it's a finer pigment. probably with a binder that is meant to dissolve like a true watercolor paint. I applied them both dry and wet (dipping the point in water) and I'm very impressed. I was especially taken on the fleshtones of the hand. I could add such a subtle hint of transparent color, it blows away any previous method I've used with glazes overlaying layers. This could be a game changer with getting accurate translucent flesh tones. I was so impressed, I immediately went online to order another set of them (the current set I've found was missing about half the colors, mostly the ones I'd want for streaking, etc.)

I would take some photos, but apparently my son 'borrowed' my 50mm lens. Just like he probably borrowed half the pencil set. I guess I could set it up 20 feet away and use the 200mm... :S

More testing and photos to follow.

I found the set of 36 pencil for $25 on eBay ($36 most places), so buying the AK set may be the way to go if that's what you using it for. Heres a photo of the tin I ordered< looks like theres Pre war steel forged at Detroit factory 2 on the lower right:

h4a1fc21.jpg

Forgot to mention: The Derwent pencils look almost identical to the AK. My set is probably 20 years olds and is identical. I suspect they are similar, more so than the watercolors. I think the matte finish has a lot to do with the pigment taking hold and not beading up as it dries.

New ones today look like this:

he034d5d.jpeg

As an alternative to the AK set , you might consider a water color pencil set if it has colors that you would use .

They are not pricey and the are very easy to use , blend or erase .

Cheers, Christian B)

Back