• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hakko FX888D Soldering Station

I'll be testing this and my soldering skills on the frame for the 109 soon.

Please feel free to correct me about any of the soldering statements I made here. I don't pretend to be a solder expert.

Short of an American Beauty, this is the best one I've come across. I use it every few days, it heats up so quickly, soldering can be something you do on the fly without a lot of prep.

May take a bit to wrap your head around the settings, or at least remember what they are, but otherwise it's a solid unit.

We both arrived at the same conclusion, either $400 or this.

I forgot, you can find the other tips (must be about 20 different ones) for a few bucks each if you hunt around. Genuine Hakko too.

Theres also a non toxic liquid flux I've found that works great with this and silver solder.

Jeffery I looked over the AB line and didn't really see one that offered what this has. I don't see any digital units from them.

Paul, what are you talkin' about?

Jeffery I looked over the AB line and didn't really see one that offered what this has. I don't see any digital units from them.

Paul, what are you talkin' about?

I meant the resistance unit. That would be first choice, but for a traditional iron type, Hakko is the way to go.

Ah...gotcha. (y)

They calling for rain all weekend so maybe i'll have a good session in the garage and get to build that canopy. :pilot

May take a bit to wrap your head around the settings, or at least remember what they are, but otherwise it's a solid unit.

We both arrived at the same conclusion, either $400 or this.

I was doing a lot of reading yesterday and some things didn't register. :frantic

For me this is set and forget, I'm thinking 750 will solder anything I need to mess with. If I get into soldering white metal (if that's possible) or other applications setting the temp is not a major deal. The programmable presets are nice but really not required for us.

What's the flux you're using?

It's called Supersafe.

I'm pretty sure this is where I bought it from: https://www.hnflux.com/page2.html

When my son was little (he's 13 now) I was real worried so I tried everything safe. Yet, the convenience of solder paste has me sold. Plus mixing soft and hard solder as well. Fore example, on a grill I would tack some pieces with the hard solder and alternate with the soft later since it won't melt the hard solder... even with heat sinks I've had that happen.

Too bad AllDav.com no longer sells it.

Regards,

Back