• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dream Model MiG-29A Pre-Painted for Trumpeter

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
Nice idea, a little large, completely awful pre-painting making it look like a roller with diluted paint was used. Sad part is, I bought two. Took photos before stripping the paint off.

DreaModelMiG29A000.jpg

DreaModelMiG29A002.jpg

DreaModelMiG29A003.jpg

DreaModelMiG29A004.jpg

Regards,

Let me guess, Eduard made it for them?

I notice that same paint pattern on some Eduard prepainted stuff. Look like the old sunday comics section. Like dot matrix or something. I know there's a proper term for it but can't find it right now.

Halftone is indeed reminiscent of Eduard's early offerings. Their latest do not have this issue. This crap finish is all Dream Model's with what looks like the striations one finds with 3D printing, except it is paint. It is now stripped off. The second set wasn't any better. Photos are coming so one can compare.

Regards,

Completely stripped, much better! Compare to the left unused fret still painted...
DreamModelMiG29A005.jpg

Close up with flash...
DreamModelMiG29A006.jpg

Same photo without flash...
DreamModelMiG29A007.jpg

Note the striations which sometimes looks like wood grain...
DreamModelMiG29A009.jpg

The idea was to fold the details and skin the kit cockpit to have the same result as the Eduard (far more expensive) 3 D printed cockpit:

EduardMiG29Cockpit001.jpg

EduardMiG29Cockpit002.jpg

EduardMiG29Cockpit003.jpg

Regards,

Looks like they silk screened it on and used 80 or 90DPI screens instead of 133 screens at least especialy if youre going to use multi color screens Somebody propably tried to save some money or made a mistake because those rough screens should only be used for solid colors.

Dave, did you notice how the paint was so thin that the brass shone through? Penny pinching...

Regards,

Ah, the quest for the perfect cockpit trudges on. That stuff does look pretty darn nasty though. That is almost as bad as really thick cockpit decals. I may have to break out the GWH Mig I have to see how that pit looks. Thanks for the heads up. Saul.

Yeah Saul, that stuff looks to be a pretty much strip and paint over batch.

Though I have used some thin Vallejo over some of my Ju-88 stuff that was almost this bad and it worked quite well.

Though I have used some thin Vallejo over some of my Ju-88 stuff that was almost this bad and it worked quite well.

Thanks, I already stripped both frets and the cockpit tub. I also cut off the folded over side panels as the designer included a slot instead of a fold line.

Regards,

That kind of product is going to sink their ship. If your not going to do it right then dont even bother. Of course maybe they will luck out and people will buy it anyways just like a certain useless landing gear company that copies the original in soft metal.
James

just like a certain useless landing gear company that copies the original in soft metal.

Sounds like a SAC of dung!

Truth be told, had they marketed it without the paint, I would be happy with the product.

Regards,

To be perfectly fair pre painted Eduard looks like a bunch of dots when photographed also.

Cheers, Christian B)

Well, positive news then. Guess I don't have any new Eduard color PE and my only YAHU bit got glued in without a single photo to show it .
It is a very nice piece though (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Back